Remodel & Renovate in 92122>Question Details

thgorrie, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Adding sq ft in san diego to an existing home

Asked by thgorrie, San Diego, CA Fri Jun 8, 2012

how much does it cost per Sq Ft to add onto a 2 bath, 4 bedroom ranch home. Out, not up, no plumbing?

Answers

6
Hi Thgorrie,
There are many variables to answer that accurately. It all depends on all the fixtures and materials that you choose for your two bathrooms. I would agree with Michael to have 3 estimates from Licensed Contractors to get an idea of the cost and also who you feel comfortable with using. I hope this helps.
Email me and I can refer you a couple.

Thank You,

David R. Indermill
Dre#01232827
Re/Max Hall Of Fame
Re/Max Associates La Jolla
Cell:858-414-5478
Email: david@sandiegohomestore.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
Hello thgorrie,

I recommend getting three bids from licensed contractors to determine who fulfills yours needs. If you need a contractor. I have a great license contractor that does a great job, and will beat any bid. He works with start up homes and homes to professional athletes from the San Diego Chargers and Padres. Email me if you would like his contact info.

Michael Alex
REAL ESTATE CONSULTANT
cell. 619.581.9348 | fax. 619.521.0100
email. AskMichaelAlex@prusd.com
2365 Northside Dr Suite #200
San Diego, CA 92108
Prudential California Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
thgorrie,

As already mentioned, there is really no way to provide an estimate by square footage without knowing the specifics of the project. Everything from windows and doors to siding are going to impact the costs.
The amount of work required to pour the foundation could be very simple, or need major excavating.

I agree with getting several bids; however, the lowest bid is by no means the sole criteria for hiring a contractor. How are you financing your intended project? Have you thought about using an FHA 203K loan? Without a doubt, it is the least expensive way to finance construction costs. I would be happy to clarify the product and process for you, if you have any interest. Best of luck to you!
One thing to keep in mind is property tax reassessment. When a building permit is pulled for a project resulting in additional square footage, the tax assessor's office is notified once the final building inspection has been completed. The tax assessor may increase your properties assessed value based on the improvement to the home. The math to calculate the new tax bill gets a little complicated because of the new vs. old square footage/improvements.

While this may not be a concern for adding 200 square feet to a 3,000 square foot house. Adding 1,500 square feet to an existing 1,000 square foot structure might lead to an unexpected tax bill.

I hope that helps!

Robert Boerner
Gecko Realty
It all depends on what you choose for complexity of the room, number of windows, quality of material, finishes and etc. As a general rule allow around $200 per square foot.
thgorrie,

Contact them directly:
http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/contact/#important

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516