Remodel & Renovate in 94566>Question Details

Mary, Just Looking in 20906

A friend of mine would like to add the floor on house. They have a litter house 1200 SF and 5000 sf lot. how much would it cost for 500 SF?

Asked by Mary, 20906 Mon Oct 28, 2013

Answers

4
Hi Mary,

I have worked with many home owners and Investors who have added square footage and/or done improvements. I am working with one investor who is building a house in Pleasanton. Depending on the contractor and the city, price can rage anywhere starting from $100 SqFt. My client uses a contractor and depending on the project he charges around $150/ SqFt.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
Thanks Ali, can you please let me know the contractor name and phone number.
Flag Mon Dec 16, 2013
You are asking this of a bunch of Realtors - you would be best off asking a general contractor. There are a lot of factors involved and costs can be very high to add a second story. As Pacita suggested, it's best to start with the local planning department to see what they will or will not allow.

The basic price for the actual construction will be in the neighborhood of $225-$250 a sq/ft, plus building fees, architect, foundation reinforcement and SO much more. Depending on the final outcome, your costs could be as high as $450 sq/ft.

You can find a good contractor through sites like Angie's List or Service Magic.
The first thing your friend should determine is whether or not the current building code and zoning will allow an expansion.

Concurrently, he should engage a structural engineer or construction professional to determine if the current structure can support a second floor.

And as a general resource, check out Remodeling Online's Cost vs Value in the area
Here's the link
http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2013/costvsvalue/division/pacif…

And whatever your friend finds out and decides to do, he should make sure that he gets his contractor to pull permits for the renovation, etc.

I have a contractor that I would like to recommend to you. His name is Bobby Stenrose and he owns his own company called Bay Area Molding and Door. He will take excellant care of you and lives in Pleasanton. His cell number is 510-881-8278.