Remodel & Renovate in 01810>Question Details

Rui Cabral, Home Buyer in Andover, MA

A 1800 SF, 2BDR 1FB Ranch. Like to convert to Colonial for more room. A ballpark number for extra

Asked by Rui Cabral, Andover, MA Sat Jan 24, 2009

sq/ft I can expect with an extra floor with an additional FB on top. My home is in Andover, MA.

Answers

5
I would say that it is probably less expensive to move and find a house that suits your needs than to add a second floor. Other things to consider are it may be worth adding on if there are things about your house that you like and you plan on staying for a long time......
Thanks for your answers. Apologies for doing this so late. Wayne my question was
around the cost of doing this.. But Ken's idea of taking 75% of the existing market
value was a good idea to cross check and see if adding a 2nd floor was more
cost effective versus just straight out buying a colonial with more living area in lieu
a ranch conversion. About the property there was more than just the conversion and
also included Title V since the property was not on Andover water and sewer network.
I decided to pass. Better values elsewhere.
Hi Rui,
whatever the existing sq ft of your foundation and floor plan is currently will be doubled providing that the current foundation supports it. Will the existing foundation support another floor on top? You might have to consult a structural engineer. Also check on the building department about height and other building requirements and or limitations. I hope this is helpful. Yanni
Hello Rui- As you know, that's a fair amoutn of work there.
For market value when you are done- something like this as a ballpark-
Take the single family price per SF that is the average in Andover. Then take 75% of that number. Use that to multiply your extra SF-gla that you are adding/ plan to add. I think that'll give you a rough ballpark for "market value".
On that note, I assume you haven't bought it yet? If that's the case, there are a couple of good mortgage options out there where you can borrow most of the money needed to do this kind of home improvement as part of your mortgage amount. If you'd like more details on that, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
Rui,
what exactly is your questions, cost or market value??

Wen
century 21
century21ma@yahoo.com