Quality of Life in Portland>Question Details

Steve, Other/Just Looking in Oregon

why does my hot water stink? Sulfur smell

Asked by Steve, Oregon Tue Jul 17, 2007

Recently the hot water began to stink. The water comes from our private well, then goes into a reservoir and is pumped into the hose as needed. I hear that replacing the anode rod in the water heater with a zinc rod will resolve the problem. Is this correct?

Answers

4
Jennifer Monroe’s answer
Hey Steve,

The sulfur smell from well water is common here due to the volcanic conditions of this area. It smells more intense with warmer water. The recent occurance is likely due to the water source pulling from a variance of the wellspring. This can be easily remedied with filtration.

If you need more info, feel free to email me directly :)

Jennifer Bukaty
Is it truly only your hot water? Most of the water where I live is well water, although we do not have to go into a holding tank because ground water is shallow we do have areas that will have sulfur. It can happen overnight or always be there... wells with this issue generally require a water system - and the system you would need if it is your water and not your equipment will add air to the water.

We have a company here that also has locations in Junction City - called EcoWater -

You might have your water tested - one really gross story - we had a toad get into our pump once and it caused a smell - then it got into the hot water heater in parts..... it was a real mess...
Steve I would call a plumber that fixes water heaters and also a well water treatment company like Culligan. Some times when a water heater is going out it starts to smell since it is over heating but a plumber might be able to tell you over the phone and save a service call. Many times it is cheaper to intall a new water heater than to replace parts unless it is just the element since most water heaters last 10-15 years before they leak or the parts go out in them. Good Luck,
Tom Inglesby
Broker, RE/MAX Equity Group Inc
ABR,CRS,CLHMS
503-495-5416