Quality of Life in Portland>Question Details

Steve, Other/Just Looking in Oregon

why does my hot water stink? Sulfur smell

Asked by Steve, Oregon Tue Jul 17, 2007

Recently the hot water began to stink. The water comes from our private well, then goes into a reservoir and is pumped into the hose as needed. I hear that replacing the anode rod in the water heater with a zinc rod will resolve the problem. Is this correct?

Answers

7
Hey Steve,

The sulfur smell from well water is common here due to the volcanic conditions of this area. It smells more intense with warmer water. The recent occurance is likely due to the water source pulling from a variance of the wellspring. This can be easily remedied with filtration.

If you need more info, feel free to email me directly :)

Jennifer Bukaty
I wondered if that wasn't the case when I first smelled it. Our hot water system is getting a filter that should help limit the smell. Thanks for sharing this. We'll be more careful with the hot water in the future. Thiago | http://www.dciplumbing.com.au/about
Flag Tue Jul 29, 2014
Is it truly only your hot water? Most of the water where I live is well water, although we do not have to go into a holding tank because ground water is shallow we do have areas that will have sulfur. It can happen overnight or always be there... wells with this issue generally require a water system - and the system you would need if it is your water and not your equipment will add air to the water.

We have a company here that also has locations in Junction City - called EcoWater -

You might have your water tested - one really gross story - we had a toad get into our pump once and it caused a smell - then it got into the hot water heater in parts..... it was a real mess...
I used to have this problem then I had a repair man come in and fix it. It has been great ever since. I think the thing to do is just call a hot water repair man to come and take a look. They will be able to tell you exactly what is going on. But all these posts below can give you a great head start. They helped me!
Suzy | http://www.dandbscottplumbingservices.com.au
I was selling a house once with this issue and the seller had some filtration system installed by Culligan water treatment and that took care of the smell.
I don't know very much about water systems, but I have noticed this happening to me as well. There is sometimes a weird smell in my hot water. I think I will need to hire someone to check it out for me.
Gary Puntman | http://www.evansplumbing.com.au
Steve I would call a plumber that fixes water heaters and also a well water treatment company like Culligan. Some times when a water heater is going out it starts to smell since it is over heating but a plumber might be able to tell you over the phone and save a service call. Many times it is cheaper to intall a new water heater than to replace parts unless it is just the element since most water heaters last 10-15 years before they leak or the parts go out in them. Good Luck,
Tom Inglesby
Broker, RE/MAX Equity Group Inc
ABR,CRS,CLHMS
503-495-5416