Quality of Life in San Jose>Question Details

F, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

which Bay Area city has the best weather?

Asked by F, Phoenix, AZ Sat Feb 27, 2010

My husband is interviewing for jobs in Cupertino and Palo Alto. I'm going to try to get into UC Berkeley.

I lived for many years in the midwest and northeast and developed a serious case of winter depression (seasonal affective disorder - SAD). I was completely debilitated from October through March and no treatment seemed to help. We've been living in AZ for 5 years and I haven't had any SAD issues.

I want to make sure I give the Bay Area my best shot. Can you please tell me which cities around the South Bay / East Shore areas have the best weather (sunniest, least fog, cloudy days, rain)?

Thanks!

Answers

11
K’s answer
Good Afternoon,

You did not mention whether you are looking to rent or purchase, and I would suggest that you rent for at least six months, before purchasing. There is so much diversity in the Bay Area, and each city is very different. The answers below are all on target.

I would like to mention that you are looking at a commute of about an hour, from Palo Alto/Cupertino area to UC Berkeley. I used to commute from Palo Alto to Oakland, and it was not a bad commute because I was going against traffic. But the cities are not right next to each other. Good luck.
In the south bay you have less fog then higher up on the peninsula. You will have lots of great weather in many places in the south bay. East Bay can get dreary due to fog.
Hi F,

Your post was duplicated on our site. You can thus find another answer to your question at the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
Hi F

weather is pretty subjective but I can say from living in the Bay area all my life that Cupertino and Palo Alto are pretty similar with their weather patterns. If you want sunny, little fog, rain and clouds stay inland. If you travel up the Penninsula you will get the fog and clouds. Anywhere in the valley is outstanding. San Jose in whole is awesome. I would say that if you look in Los Gatos all the way to mid-Penninsula (Redwood City) you will get the great weather. If you go south towards the coast (Santa Cruz) or north (Half Moon Bay, San Mateo, Bay) it gets chillier. East Bay tends to get a little warmer, but it's pretty temperate.

Good Luck,

Sara Greenwood
You are receiving a lot of great answers. Your price point and what you want for that also play a part.

I understand SAD. I moved to WA state for 3 years and couldn't get back to my native CA quick enough. There are areas which get more fog and these are usually areas nearer the water. So if you go inland and south you'll have more sunny days. The temperatures get warmer in some areas, such as Fremont, Almaden Valley, Morgan Hill, etc. Weather websites will give you days of rain, sun, etc. then hook up with a Realtor to assist you with the other factors in your decision.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Cupertino and Palo Alto on one side, UC Berkeley on the other; want sunny, warm place?

How about Fremont? Lots of things to do, house prices varies (low to high end), lots of shops and activities, Bart to go to Berkeley.

A place to check into and let me know if I can help you.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&ie=UTF8&…

Sylvia Barry
(415) 717-0293
http://www.SylviaBarryRE.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
F, I'm glad to hear you are looking to move to the best area in the Bay, Silicon Valley. I someone who has once lived in the North East, I understand your concerns of how the weather affects our ability to live happy and complete lives.

I would love to let you know what area would be probably best for you. But I'm not sure what home price range you are looking for. Please feel free to contact me so I can help you find the best place for you to live in.

Each area of Silicon Valley beautiful and each one has its own perks. From a small town feel to a secluded get away to a vibrant down town area. You'll probably see that weather won't be your main concern in the Valley.

Don't hesitate to call me directly at (408) 863.3179. Until then, have a great day.

Carlos Rafael Cruz
REALTOR | DRE# 01865777

Intero Real Estate Services
12900 Saratoga Avenue
Saratoga, CA 95070

+1 (408) 786-5179 (Cell)
+1 (408) 863.3179 (Office)
+1 (408) 877.1595 (Fax)

eMail: realtor@carlosrafaelcruz.com
Site: http://www.CarlosRafaelCruz.com/
______________________________
Hi F,
I agree with the guys below on the areas, I'd also like to point out that in Los Gatos, or in the mountains the fog burns off first and you have bright clear days. Also there is a dryer climate here than the Northeast. although not as dry as AZ.
Hook up with a realtor who works these areas so that you will feel confident when you make a purchase.
There are some VERY good realtors right here on trulia, just look over the profiles and answers of a few of us and contact the ones who you feel will represent you well.
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Hi F, SAD? Redwood City was once titled with the city with the best weather. That is 10 min North of Palo Alto and 15-20 Minutes North of Mountain View

Michael
http://losgatoshomesandrealestateblog.com
San Mateo, Los Altos and Palo Alto tend to have great weather. Not as hot as San Jose during the summer but it does get pretty warm.
Very good question and I would say that the area from Menlo Park down to San Jose has some wonderful weather. It includes the cities of Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mt. View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos and Milpitas. The closer you get to San Francisco and Oakland the higher chance you may experience more fog and cooler weather. I hope this helps.

Jim