Quality of Life in Hale>Question Details

Ortrun, Home Buyer in 80204

what is a typical electrical and water bill for a 2000 square feet home. What other monthly bills should we be prepared for?

Asked by Ortrun, 80204 Fri Jan 31, 2014

Answers

5
Utility bills seem to really vary for my clients. If you work from home your bills will be higher due to more usage or if you have electronics that never get powered down. My xcel bill which includes electric and gas averages to be $280. Per month, my house is a bit larger than 2000 sf, so keep that in mind.
You can call xcel and they will give you
an average for a home that size. Their residential customer service number is 1-800-895-4999
You will also need to pay for water and trash removal. Cable and Internet is optional of course, but another bill to consider.
Good luck, and feel free to call or email me directly if you have additional questions.

Amie Morozs - Realtor
Cherry Creek Properties
720-495-5705
amorozs@gmail.com
Hi! The basic gas/electric bills are a matter of public record. If you have a house in mind you can call the provider, i.e Excel, and ask what the average monthly utilities are. If you don't have a specific home in mind now you could easily check a home in the area in which you are interested. I'd be very glad to talk to you and help you with any questions you may have. Part of the qualifying process with lenders is for them to estimate your basic monthly expenses and qualify you with your income knowing an estimate of your future estimated bills at the home you are purchasing. As the others have said, this varies depending upon the county, lot size, etc. Please give me a call or email me- I'm glad to help.
Kayla Okafor, MBA
Denver Real Estate Connection
Owner/Employing Broker
Ofc: 303-455-0244
drckayla@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 1, 2014
thanks Kayla, I didn't know that about the qualifying loan amount : ) I'm looking at Denver county 5000 to 6000 sq ft lot
Flag Mon Feb 3, 2014
This depends on what county you are wanting to move to. Douglas county has much higher water bills than Denver county. It would also depend on wether the home has electric heat or gas heat, as well as AC.

We are happy to check some houses in the neighborhood you are interested in to get you the last 12 month averages.

Check out our profile and give us a call at 720-252-3854.

Thanks!
Dan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 1, 2014
Unfortunately there is no 'typical' electric or water bill for any size of home. They will vary wildly depending on the size and energy efficiency of the home. You can contact the utility providers for specific homes and addresses to get some historical information. Your best bet would be to get an energy audit done during the inspection phase of a purchase transaction if/when you see a home you'd like to purchase. There are some home inspectors who offer energy audits with thermal imaging reports that will show you hot and cold spots.

Water bills will also vary greatly, depending on usage within and outside of the home. Water bills can run higher than energy bills during the summer months if the sprinkler system is not maintained or updated appropriately.

If your interests are primarily budget related, most utility providers will offer budget billing that allows you to make a consistent payment every month throughout the year. You can also make some inexpensive updates to a home that is not energy efficient that will more than pay for themselves. Your energy auditor will provide you with those recommendations in their report.

Other monthly bills to consider: Home security (can include fire and CO monitoring), phone, internet, cable/satellite, and pest/rodent control if needed. While not monthly bills, you should also budget for lawn maintenance, gutter cleaning, and reoccurring homeowner maintenance like caulking, replacing door and window seals, and exterior painting every few years (big ticket expense that can be made easier by budgeting a monthly amount to be set aside for use when needed).

Lastly, if you are, or about to be a first time homebuyer, there is also a good chance you will one day become a new parent (if not already). Here is the best financial advise I can give you: 1. Don't make the mistake of becoming 'house rich and cash poor'- that means buy less of a home than you can afford. 2 - Start a college savings plan today! And if you haven't already, start investing in your retirement.

Best of luck to you!
This really varies widely based on your construction year and type as well as what heating and cooling systems you are running as well as how many people are living there and what age they are as well. Water bills also depend on your landscaping. Do you have a xeriscape, formal garden, or an edible garden?

We offer energy inspections to estimate much of this. No water estimate though. Denver water is a good source for this.
Web Reference: http://Levelhi.com
Thanks Tyson, what do you know about houses built before 1940, are they much less efficient? Also, at what age do children expend the most energy, that's interesting! thanks again for your help : )
Flag Tue Feb 4, 2014