Quality of Life in Houston>Question Details

lorenarvela, Renter in Houston, TX

what can I do about bed bugs and my landlord?

Asked by lorenarvela, Houston, TX Thu Aug 1, 2013

So we are renting and in a 2 year contract, I started to notice the bites on my fingers and arms. My daughter also started having the same problem, I just thought mosquitoes were really bad. I ended up having a really bad allergic reaction on my face and neck. Well I just discovered that we have bed bugs, we have never had this issue before and Im not really sure what to do. In our contract it states we are responsible for "pest Control" but bed bugs is a totally different situation. I've had 2 staff infections due to scratching and have huge scars everywhere!! What can I do to have the landlord help with this issue

Answers

4
Thank you!!! I will definitely look into it:)
I am sorry you are dealing with this problem. I didn't know the answer to your question so I googles "bed bugs, lease contract, texas" and there is tons of controverty over this issue. From what I read there is a "bed bug" clause that was developed wherein the landlord and tenant both disclose previous infestations or exposures to bed bugs and if relevant, that treatment was performed. I suppose this is intended to give the lease a clean start, assuming everyone tells the truth and no one in adjacent apartments exposes the entire building to bed bugs. There was some discussion about whether or not bed bug infestation rendered the property uninhabitable and grounds for terminating the lease. I would advise you contact a real estate attorney before making a decision on this so your are fully informed on your rights and obligations. You can also check out the link below for additional information. Good Luck!

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/tenants.shtml
But I've never has this issue before until I moved into the property.
Most often bed bugs move in with the furniture, Don't delay get pest control before you have pest control and doctor bills.
Don, you are essentially right. Bed Bugs are travelers. They hitch a ride on people, furniture, boxes, clothing, and even new carpet and new furniture. There is some good news. Bed Bugs are highly treatable. Before you consider walking away from all your possessions, please note the high probability you will still bring some with you. Treatments seem to cost $70 to $400 and price is probably related to guaranty more than effectiveness. Good luck!
Flag Thu Aug 1, 2013