Quality of Life in Irvington>Question Details

Antonio John…, Other/Just Looking in Loch Raven, Baltimore,...

thinking of moving to Irvington, NJ and Commuting to manhattan for work what is the neighborhood like and is it safe and affordable?

Asked by Antonio Johnson, Loch Raven, Baltimore, MD Wed Jul 20, 2011

I was thinking of moving to new jersey and commuting to NYC for work. the irvington area highely interested me because it looks suburban and the single and multi family houses look cheaper than the ones in nyc is Irvington a good community to raise kids, is it a safe place to raise a family, what are the schools like? and is this a good community for first time homeowners?

Answers

6
Rahzhak Mizhauni’s answer
After Sandy..Residents had no heat/electricity for over 7 days; while the mayor was M.I.A.; on most streets. Resolve, if you want to know about a city/town, examine the elected officials work ethics.
Further resolve, if the elected officials are not pro-active or if they do not communicate with their voters, one would have to question safety. With that in mind, i must say Irvington, NJ is affordable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Hello Antonio,
Here is a link to city data about Irvington where you might find some helpful information about the area including crime and real estate statistics:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Irvington-New-Jersey.html

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 20, 2011
No the area is not the safest. Its not the worst but close to it. Hard to travel at night.
As with any neighborhood it is always good to look up statistics regarding a town. I am familiar with Irvington and I must say the lines between Irvington and 'Upper Irvington' are beginning to blend together. The crime is slowly bleeding through the entire town and they have even issued pleas on their recycling calendar for people to pitch in, in the community before the town becomes gentrified. There is a big ratio of renters vs owners living in the town as well. Please do your research and proceed at your own personal level of safety.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
Irvington is a desirable area, yes, it is a good community for the first time homeowners.it also depends on which part of Irvington you want to live tell me how much you are willing to pay to purchase your home , how many bedrooms and bathrooms,car garage and everything you want in the house. I would be willing to work with you.
You can contact me at 9735517064.
Irvington??? No way don’t do it. Bad news area. It’s right next to Newark. I use to drive through there all the time on job sites. Irvington has to be one of the worst in NJ.

Investor Mike
It's not that bad...we have problems not worst than newark...everywhere has crime so please stop bashing our town
Flag Sat Aug 10, 2013