Kaye Bee Wri…, Renter in Chicago, IL

is west of western in wicker park safe?

Asked by Kaye Bee Wright, Chicago, IL Sun Aug 21, 2011

Answers

8
If you do not have a single speed bike and an ironic t-shirt, then culturally, these areas are extremely unsafe. I'd add copious amounts of facial hair, but you appear to be a female. My apologies if you don't shave.

A few pieces of information: Wicker Park ends at the east side of Western Avenue. No matter what the clever folks in the realty industry tell you, anything directly west of Wicker Park is the luxurious enclave of Humboldt Park, which sounds far posher than Wicker Park, which sounds like some Granny 'hood.

I have lived west of Western, or WeWe (pronounced 'way-way' with Asian inflection) as some of us call it for many, many years. I think it's safe. And I find it safe but that could be because I'm pretty sure that people from my area are going East of Western to rob people. Just a rumor....

The bestest bestest way to answer your question, better than stats, better than the incredibly detailed Chicago Police website, better than trulia users who only want to sell you something, is to take a walk one afternoon down some of the blocks you may be interested in. Approach somebody on the street, ideally in front of their home, and ask them what they think. Everybody loves a good impromptu interview. Seriously. You'll be surprised at their answers. It's important to return to the area again at night. Each block is different. If you don't feel comfortable at night, then no matter what anybody tells ya, it's just not going to happen.

And remember, no mountain bikes, no new department store clothing, and no PC's.
Great advice, just be sure to take a walk during the daytime...just in case!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
1. west of western isn't even wicker park. 2. depends on where west of western you're considering?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 17, 2012
As someone else has mentioned, its illegal for an agent to comment on the safety of a neighborhood.

What I can tell you is that crime happens everywhere in a big city. Its just a fact of life. Your best bet is to remain conscious of your surroundings, make eye contact with anyone you pass on the street (thieves prey upon the unsuspecting) and walk with your shoulders back, chin raised, ready to take on the bad guys. I took a self defense class years ago and learned these valuable nuggets.

If you are considering living in a part of town you are unfamiliar with, I would visit that area at various times of the day and night to get a sense of how comfortable you feel there. You can also check out http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/ - where you can put in an address and see what bad things have happened nearby.

Hi Kaye-

Check out Trulia's heat maps to get a sense of how Wicker Park stacks up against the surrounding areas, zoom in and out using the +/- arrows on the left :

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Chicago-Illinois/crime/

Want to learn more about where violent crimes happen? Trulia Local gives you the local scoop on where violent crime happens, adding an extra layer of insights to its crime maps.

Take a look: http://trends.truliablog.com/2012/03/trulia-local/

I hope this helps, be safe out there and please let me know if you have additional questions!

Ali, Community Manager
No. It is not. Not at all. Nope.
Can you elaborate? I'd love to learn a bit more.
Flag Mon Jul 16, 2012
Realtors are prohibited from commenting on neighborhoods so I cannot directly answer your question. My advice is to check the chicago police website for crime statistics and to talk to some of the neighbors. I would also drive by in the evening on a nice night to see who is hanging out. Crime is everywhere, just depends what types and frequency of crimes you are comfortable with.
Web Reference: http://www.rnowak.com
If unfamiliar with the area visit more than than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors; also for the most accurate and up to the minute safety information, it's always a good idea to contact/visit the local police department, hear all firsthand; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.....
W of Western really sort of depends on how far north and south you are in that area. It's more of a block by block issue. Some blocks are Ok while others aren't. Some stretches are Ok out to California or even pushing Kedzie, while others definitely aren't.
I would recommend driving around in the later afternoons, early to late evenings to see how the street life is. This may give you a better indication of your comfort level.
Hope that helps, good luck
Web Reference: http://www.aic-chicago.com
This is the best answer. I moved to Logan Square - which is west of Western by 2 neighborhoods, north of Humboldt Park - from IOWA. I've always felt relatively safe ("big city" safe). Yes, we have our share of ironic hipsters; they all flooded in when the stroller set invaded Wicker Park. ;) It really is block-by-block. Go during the day and again at night and check out the pockets where you're considering living. I live on a quiet, tree-lined street in a well-maintained apartment building with managers living on-site. My neighborhood is clean, kept-up and generally quiet safe, which is supported by numerous crime stat maps.
Flag Tue Jun 18, 2013