coconut2, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

is there much overhead plane noise over lindenhurst, Mn?

Asked by coconut2, Minneapolis, MN Thu Mar 7, 2013

Answers

6
Hello Coconut2,

I am thinking you are referring to Lynnhurst and/or possibly Linden Hills? There is some air traffic over those areas but it's not too bad, it gets worse as you head Southeast so the Lake Nokomis area is pretty loud as it's closer to the airport.

I lived in the Lynnhurst/Linden Hills neighborhood area previously and it's manageable air traffic noise. Those closest to the high air traffic took part in the noise reduction program through the MAC (Metropolitan Airport Commission) updates on the windows which are triple pane noise reduction windows. Many homes in the airline traffic path qualified for them and many homes are already updated.

You have to be in a certain range of the air traffic landing area and you can use this website to find out if you qualify for noise abatement or to determine the flight tracker information. http://www.macnoise.com/

I would use this tool to determine the likelihood of issues, however, I also lived in the Windom Community, which is further East/Southeast toward the Nokomis area and that was loud so many in that area have already done the MAC updates. It tends to affect your outdoor enjoyment in the summer, without the noise abatement windows you'd have to wait for a plane to pass before you could continue a phone conversation outdoors.

It's better to have an idea of when the flights are going overhead before you check the neighborhood yourself but if you're worried I would make a few trips out there to check it out.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you, Claire Bastien
http://www.FindYourMinnesotaHome.com
If I were you, I'd dress warm and walk around the area for a while, at different times, on different days. Talk with neighbors to see when plane traffic is light and heavy and be sure to go there at those times. Many homes in South Minneapolis, (and some of the 'burbs... I think), were the recipients of things like windows that muffled the sound. The Metropolitan Airport Commission paid for a lot of those, but all the windows and soundproofing in the world won't change what it's like to sit in your backyard.

In the end, the only person who can tell you if you'll be annoyed by such noise, is yourself.
Best bet is to drive the neighborhoods that you are interested in, "too much" is an subjective question.
Hi, coconut2!
Not sure what area you're referring to. Do you mean the Linden Hills neighborhood of Minneapolis?? Or is Lindenhurst a small town I can't find on the map??!!!! :D

If you mean the Linden Hills neighborhood, it is in Southwest Minneapolis, so there is certainly some airplane noise from time to time.

As far as HOW intrusive it is, that's a very subjective thing. Some people like to live by trains because the sound is soothing, but to others it's supremely annoying!!

I suggest you find a place to "hang out" in that neighborhood at different times of the week and weekend to see what kind of sounds you experience to decide if it's an acceptable level for you and how you live.

Good luck!!!
I'm guessing you are asking about Linden Hills which is a neighborhood area within the city of Minneapolis. Since Linden Hills is on the west side of Lake Harriet and about 6-7 miles from the airport it's not nearly as affected by airplane noise as other sections of Minneapolis that are closer to the airport.

That said, it is in direct line with the 2 main runways so it really depends on your own definition of overhead plane noise. I would think most people wouldn't consider it a concern in Linden Hills but if you are someone who is more sensitive to this type of disturbance then finding a different neighborhood may be a better option.

Best bet is go take a walk there when planes are passing by and see what you think.

Bill Wallace
RE/MAX Advantage Plus
http://www.macnoise.com/our-neighbors/real-estate-profession…

Use the link above for plane noise information.

Whether you can tolerate the plane noise is a matter of personal preference and hearing sensitivity.