Quality of Life in Ashland>Question Details

Karen Elsa, Home Buyer in Lake Mills, WI

is it a good time to buy in ashland, wi?

Asked by Karen Elsa, Lake Mills, WI Mon May 14, 2007

I am thinking of relocating to ashland, Wisc. What are the worst and the best points of the community.

Answers

4
Karen, I'm going to begin by assuming that your financial situation is in order, that you have the resources available to purchase a home, that your credit is in good shape and so forth. Starting from that assumption, let me say that Ashland is a value in my opinion for many reasons. Ashland has retained it's small town character, despite the growth of tourism and traffic on the south shore of Lake Superior. Prices for food, clothing and durable goods are still surprisingly low compared to urban areas within 350 miles such as Duluth, Minneapolis-Saint Paul and Madison. Ashland is an ore-dock town that has its origins in the lumber and mining industries and the town has never fully appreciated or taken advantage of its Lake Superior frontage and views. I think Ashland and surrounding towns like Washburn will eventually take off and become attractive tourist destinations. That will bring along with it progress and change, including higher housing prices. In the meantime, I think you should take a second look at Ashland, Washburn and the surrounding area. Home prices are very affordable and there is plenty of inventory to choose from. The air and water quality is good and there's a strong area commitment to environmentalism and wilderness preservation. On the downside, if you are an urban dweller now, you might find the distance from big-city amenities can be a disadvantage (Duluth-Superior is an hour away). I sell real estate in the area and have been a property owner there for over twenty years. I hope you find this information helpful in making your decision.
Ashland is a great location for a family to raise your children or to retire and feel safe. The people are great because they have good ethics, care about their community and their environment. There is so much beauty around here, from great views of the Penokee Mountains to the shores of Lake Superior, which most people take for granted. There are so many activities to do with your family especially if you enjoy outdoor fun. You get more for your hard-earned money because your taxes are low and you can purchase a nice home and land for half of the cost thn anywhere in Wisconsin. Contact me and I will help you anwer any of your quetions or concerns about Northern Wisconsin.
Hi Karen, although I am not an expert in Ashland, I do have an excellent contact for a realtor there. Please contact me via the trulia form if you wish to know more.

I have however written a blog about the "right time to buy" question - a four part blog you can check out at the link below.
Karen, I see that no agent has answered your question yet, so will take a stab at it. I am not local, so I can not give in the ins and the outs of the community, but is now a good time to buy. Maybe. Depends on your situation. Work. Financial, etc, etc. There is never a good time to buy real estate in general. Always a good time to buy for the right individual.
Web Reference: http://www.edynblog.com