Kris, Both Buyer and Seller in 90290

in sanluis obispo, listings refer to the "banana belt". what is meant by that...especially regarding temps? thank you

Asked by Kris, 90290 Fri Sep 21, 2012

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3092989569-1750-La-Luna-Ct-Sa…

Answers

5
In the city of SLO, the windy, cooler areas generally lie nearest Los Osos Valley Rd, Laguna Lake, generally northwest. In the summer, these neighborhoods can be as much as 10 degrees cooler than downtown. That's one microclimate.

Another is higher on the hillsides, eastern side of town, generally thought of as the Flora St. corridor. This is probably the "banana belt" you are wondering about. In this neighborhood, summers are a bit cooler, there is a light breeze (not an annoying wind), and winters are more frost-free. You can grow bananas here (and they will fruit); also fuchsias, which don't do well in hotter parts of town. It's a very desirable area, and of course more expensive, by and large, than other neighborhoods.

I hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
David I truly love the Central Coast. Jalama is my favorite surf break and I surf there often. However, I must take issue with your assumption that it's the Nipomo being the "BEST" weather in the Country or even the World.

There are an abundance of "Banana Belt" micro-climates throughout the World. But just on the West Coast along from Vista, California in San Diego County that boasts over 300 days a year of sunshine, an average annual rainfall of less than 14 inches, no snow and an average annual temperature of 72 degrees.

Then there's all the way North to the Olympic Penninsula of Washington and Sequim aka "The Blue Hole" nicknamed by pilots who fly from Seattle to Vancouver BC and marvel at how the sky opens up whence flying over Sequim.

In Sequim there is an average of less than 16 inches of rainfall per year, less than two inches of snow and an average daily temperature in the high 60's. Add to that that Sequim happens to be almost smack dab in the middle of two of the wettest places in the Country if not the World; Seattle and Vancouver.

Finally there are "Banana Belts" in the Black Hills, Montana and even in upstate New York. I have no idea how many other "Banana Belts" there are scattered throughout the globe but I'm sure there's plenty.
OOps, I mean entirely correct.
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012
John - that's funny. :)< Love your comments - Well, I guess it would better to say one of the best... Since you mentioned it, Micro-Climate is not entirely incorrect when referring to the World. Micro means microscopic. An example for micro-climate would be grapes within a cluster or canopy. When referring to the world, Maco-Climate or Regional climate might be more accurate. Meso-Climate (typo or site-climate) can also be used, and probably closer when referring to a Banana-belt. Ref: Sunlight into Wine Smart/Robinson.

I agree, it is probably inaccurate to state that a home is in a Banana belt, unless it really was. I am guessing the agent is using creative license. The page on Wikipedia link below lists all of the Banana belts in the world: Rapid City, Black Hills, Whitehorse, Winsor, Gulf Islands, Menominee, etc.

I have never been to Encinitas, CA. How is it out there? Guessing you’re not in a Banana-Belt :)
Flag Fri Sep 21, 2012
Banana-Belt basically means warmer compared to other areas—which can be in the same geographic location. Another expression would be Micro or Macro Climate.

As far as weather conditions, the central coast, even in windy areas, has the best climate in the country. Obviously, the closer the home is to the ocean, the cooler the weather is. Some areas near the water, such has Cayucos and Avila Beach are in protected areas and tend to be warmer with little to no fog. I believe the best overall weather conditions that are inland from the water is in Arroyo Grande, but I have been told that Nipomo has the best weather in the Country or even the world.

If you would like more information about the words used to sell real estate, you can to go the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate or specifically for Banana Belt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_belt

If you need help finding a home, you can contact me directly or view all of the available homes on the central coast in Real Time at http://www.dnorwood.com/SLO.aspx

David Norwood-Central Coast Real Estate – 805-471-0828 or David@DNorwood.com
Oh my gosh, San Luis Obispo's climate definitely beats A.G.'s. So often in early summer A.G. is socked in with fog! Not San Luis!
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
San Luis Obispo can be a windy town. We have certain areas of town that are blocked from the wind and have their own little micro-climates (warmer by about 10 degrees) just by being out of the wind. The property on La Luna Ct. is not one of these. This is on the windy side of town.

Bruce Freeberg
Patterson Realty
805-748-0161
Bfreeberg@gmail.com
Lic. 01771947
A banana belt is any segment of a larger geographic region that enjoys warmer weather conditions than the region as a whole, especially in the wintertime.