Quality of Life in Hoboken>Question Details

Rose, Home Owner in Hoboken, NJ

if you own a condo and feel the board is not serving the building, what recourse do you have?

Asked by Rose, Hoboken, NJ Tue Jun 14, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to review the HOA regulations go from there no professional can render an opinion unless full set of doc's are reviewed contact an attorney if you have any questions

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Hi Rose, I have to agree - be part of the solution - join the Board so you can influence the process. As a homeowner, you surely have a vested interest!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 19, 2011
Hi Rose! All good answers here. I commend you for wanting to get involved, Cissy is right, we see so many buildings deteriorate because of inactive boards and poor management. You have to get involved, which clearly you are doing, and use vote to elect new board members or hire a new management company.
First you should bring up your concerns with the rest of the owners and arrange for a meeting if your president is not willing or able to and take it from there. You want to involve them and make sure they share the same concerns.
Some things that I see all the time, solely because the board members are not motivated or simply don't have time to care for their buildings, are repairs sitting, no updates, facade and interior common areas that are beat up and not taken care of. All of these things in the end affect the value of your home and the investment of the others.
Best of luck and hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 14, 2011

The condo board is an extension of the residents. Your recourse is to organize as a group whan an issue becomes controversial and/or unresolved and present your concerns and recommendations as an organized unit.

There's always the option of running for the board as a means of advocating for your cause as well.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 14, 2011
Eric is right in his response that it may not necessarily be the Board that is not serving the building as you think it should, but rather the management company. He is also correct in stating that you need to check the bylaws in the master deed and consult with an attorney if you have any questions. However, what I find increasingly, is more and more apathy of the individual unit owners. I'm not saying this is true in your particular case, but this is your investment and you need to get involved in order to protect it. When a board seat becomes available, you should apply. If there is a particular area where you think the board is lax, then talk to your fellow unit owners and come to the next meeting en force to express your concerns. Always keep in mind that you're all in this together for the good of your building AND your investment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 14, 2011

You can attempt to influence the Board by attending meetings and lobbying for change; you can even attempt to get elected to the Board.

It's essential to remember that being a Board Member is a volunteer position, that few Board Members have the training and background that someone who might be on a board of a larger company or non-profit might have, and that there can be an honest difference of opinion on what "serving the building" looks like - and we really can't adjudicate that here.

What I suggest, Rose, is that you become more involved. If your condo has professional property management, perhaps you can consult with your condo's manager about ways that you can effect change in your community.

All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 14, 2011
Rose, this is a common situation unfortunately.
Is your building self-managed or is there a management company? With a management company the burden is more on them to make sure things are done right, but with the board approving things or not. A self-managed board is sometimes tougher to deal with.

Your bylaws and master deed should specify some sort of recourse. Being an owner you have the voting power to change board members, typically every year. If you're unsure as to what the bylaws specify, you may want to consult an attorney to review them and give you guidance.

I have suggestions of people you can speak with if you're interested. Just let me know.

Good luck!

Eric J.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 14, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer