Quality of Life in Cupertino>Question Details

Sherri, Home Buyer in calabasas hls, CA

if you have termits do they get in your close?

Asked by Sherri, calabasas hls, CA Thu Dec 31, 2009

Answers

7
The termites can fly and it takes a couple, a male and female to start another colony. They look for wet, and wood to digest. There are three types. If you see tubes or ingested wood(looks like black pepper) or see they fly in and out. There are definitely a lot below (up to 2-3 feet) below your house. They can also found in the attic or around trees. They will not harm human. But the structure could crumble. Even fumigation will work shortly as sub can easily migrant upward. As stated it does not take much time to migrant back. Smart home owners dig trenches with chemical barrier to isolate your home.

My neighborhood was spread termite around. I got it last across the street. There was a mound about 100 ft and over the next 3 years I wish I had the home treated earlier. After extensive work and repair, the termites came back in 3 months on the concrete drive way. The treatment was pouring Clorax into and treat with Cu So4. Now once a year I crawl under the home with a flashlight and a screw driver to investigate if there are little creatures "Close" by....
I also made sure all down sprouts water is discharged away from the home with trunks..... Hope that helps.

My neighborhood was spread termite around. I got it last across the street. There was a mound about 100 ft and over the next 3 years I wish I had the home treated. I had them come back in 3 months on the concrete drive way. The treatment is pour Clorax into and treat with Cu So4. Now I crawl under the home with a flashlight and a screw driver once a year to investigate if there are little creatures "Close" by.... I made sure all down sprouts water is discharged away from the home with trunks..... Hope that helps.
The termites can fly and it takes a couple, a male and female to start another colony. They look for wet, and wood to digest. There are three types. If you see tubes or ingested wood(looks like black pepper) or see they fly in and out. There are definitely a lot below (up to 2-3 feet) below your house. They can also found in the attic or around trees. They will not harm human. But the structure could crumble. Even fumigation will work shortly as sub can easily migrant upward. As stated it does not take no time to migrant back. Smart home owners dig trenches with chemical barrier to isolate your home.

My neighborhood was spread termite around. I got it last across the street. There was a mound about 100 ft and over the next 3 years I wish I had the home treated. Now I crawl under the home with a flashlight and a screw driver once a year to investigate if there are little creatures "Close" by.... I made sure all down sprouts water is discharged away from the home with trunks..... Hope that helps.
Hi Sherri, If you have had a termite eradication service within the last 24 months you should check your warranty paperwork. The warranty should prove to protect you for 2 years. If you are eligible to have the servicer, within their warranty period, return to do another service to eradicate them, I would recommend you do this asap. Irene already listed the important maintenance items you should be doing below.

Michael
http://www.MichaelRobertsHomes.com
No, termites do not get on your clothes--they do however, like wood. If you believe you have a termite problem call a professional exterminating company to take care of the problem right away, before damage becomes extensive.

Anna
Hello Sherri,

Termites are a threat to your home not your clothing.
Since termites are a constant threat to your home, here are some things you can do during the year to help maintain the effectiveness of The Orkin Man’s termite treatment plan.
What Can You Do to Help Protect Your Home?
Small steps make a big difference in termite prevention and sustaining an effective termite treatment plan. Start by eliminating moisture conditions and food around your home. These simple steps make your home a less attractive target, helping deter termites.
Eliminate Moisture Problems
Repair leaking faucets, water pipes, and a/c units
Divert water from foundation
Keep gutters and down-spouts clean
Remove excessive plant cover and wood mulch
Get rid of standing water on roof
Keep all vents clear and open
Seal entry points around water and utility lines or pipes
Remove Food Sources
Keep firewood, lumber, or paper away from foundation or crawl space
Get rid of stumps and debris near house
Place screens on outside vents
Check decks and wooden fences for damage
Wood on your home shouldn’t contact the soil
Termite Warning Signs
Some indications you may have a termite infestation:
A temporary swarm of winged insects in your home or from the soil around
your home.
Any cracked or bubbling paint or frass (termite droppings).
Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
Mud tubes on exterior walls, wooden beams, or in crawl spaces.
Discarded wings from swarmers.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.
On Your Team.
Irena Popilevsky
http://www.irenapopilevsky.com
Hi Sherri,
Welcome to Trulia.
Did you mean to ask if termites can get in cloths (pieces of fabrics)? Or is your question related to termites and closing?
Please confirm.