Quality of Life in Portland>Question Details

Eve, Other/Just Looking in Portland, ME

fixer-uppers for rent?

Asked by Eve, Portland, ME Fri Aug 31, 2007

I have my own tools, and do old house restorations. Where do I find these properties?

Answers

5
Jonathan Haidle’s answer
Your question is a bit confusing, in terms of your motives for why you are looking for such an arrangement. Are you hoping to trade work for rent? Do you simply like modifying and changing a space to "make it your own?" I'm assuming that the goal is to hope to trade work for rent. If that's the case, I would advertise this to landlords who are listing their places for rent. This should help you stand apart from other potential renters. Either the landlord is going to be REALLY interested, or probably equally not interested. Good luck!
Yes I have my own tools need a house with 3 bedroom 2 bathes a gatage big yatfr
Go around and look at some of the rentals. If you find some that are in disrepair, have your agent contact the landlord's agent and ask. You never know. I own numerous rental properties and absolutely love it when a tenant is willing to work on my property in exchange for a rent credit. Make sure you know what your responsibilities will be before you sign on the dotted line.
One of my tenants gets a rent credit to manage my mixed use building. He lives there and takes care of things when I need a plumber, etc. I do not live at the building, so this is a trememdous help for me. He gets the contractor, pays for it (when necessary) and deducts the bill from his next month rent. He does minor repairs, too.
In another property, I have a tenant who wants to fix up the building because they plan on living there for 2 years and want the house spruced up. I have a deal with that tenant that they do the work and I'll provide the supplies. It's a no-brainer and a win-win situation for us both. They get the style house they are accustomed to and I get my rental redone at a fraction of the cost. I have also given them an option to buy and right of first refusal if the house should get an interested buyer (it's for sale, too.)
So, there are options. You just need to be creative and get out there and ask!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Here in Portland, most rentals are handled through a professional property management firm. And if you do locate a rental in need of repair, the potential liability may dissuade an owner from permitting you to do the work on your own. But that doesn't mean there isn't a match for you out there. Your skills could be the perfect thing for an owner with limited funds.

Advertise in our local Craig's List and with the Willamette Weekly Backpage. You might also consider making a tasteful little ad to place on the bulletin boards at New Seasons, or other community boards.

When you do find that perfect arrangement, be certain have a good contract that also protects YOU.
It is very difficult to get a home owner to allow you to do work on a place like this. Most people, at least in more urban communities, who own investment property are wary of allowing someone inside to do work that the homeowner will ultimately be responsible for. If you do find a situation you might be able to use your skill set to help negotiate your rent, but I would be very surprised if you find more than one property.