Quality of Life in Bronx>Question Details

Bette, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

30 years ago I lived in the Bronx. I would like to retire there and live half the year in New York. Am I crazy? I am now living in California.

Asked by Bette, San Francisco, CA Sun Jan 10, 2010

Answers

7
NO your not crazy. live in the Bronx and i have to say its Great. Its not the same as when
you lived here 30 years ago but its a great place to spend some time in. Its only half hour from manhattan so you'll always find something to do.

If you have any real estate needs id be more then happy to help you.

Andrew Haxhiu
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Exit Realty Search
1660 E Gun Hill Road
Bronx, Ny 10469
Cell: (917)567-6544
Tell: (347)202-4965
Fax: (347)202-4966
Andrew@exitrealtysearch.com
http://www.SearchNyHome.com
Not according to Anthony Bourdain. The Bronx is happening and if it's what you want go for it.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
There is nothing crazy about being a west coast snowbird.
New York, New York there is no other city like it!!!
You of course have your reasons for the choice you are about to make.
Whether it's family, or you just miss the excitement of Bronx.
As far as Real Estate is concern; taxes are low, around $2500 - $3000.00
And there's a lot of inventory.

When you are ready, give me a call and I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,
Viola Taliaferrow
914-584-6683
Associate Broker
Keller Williams NY Realty.
Dear Bette,

No! I do not think that it's a totally crazy idea. My parents moved from the Bronx to Florida a few years ago and they are not thinking of totally moving back here but eventually living here in the summer and travelling back to Florida during the colder months. Many people that I know that are semi or fully retired do just this.

The Bronx has changed in some areas for the better and some for the worse. But I think one of your best options is to come back for a visit and see if the feeling is still there. The Bronx has very moderately priced condos and coops and maintence begins at approx. $535 per month for 1 bedroom apartments and it varies depending on the amenties that you are looking for.

I would be happy to show you around, if you are ever in the area.

Nirmala Caraballo
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty
1408 White Plains Road
Bronx, NY 10462
Tel.: 646-479-7873
Email: nhcaraballo@yahoo.com
Many people are already doing that already--they leave the NY area in Winter and return Spring time--if your financials allow the travel back and forth why not--The NYC area still offers a myriad of pleasurable activities--Broadway shows, museums, gorgeous parks, beaches, a variety of cuisines, etc. Why not visit, check out some towns, maybe consider a short term rental and take it from there--nothing crazy for wanting the best of both worlds.

Anna
Actually many of my clients are retiring to NYC or semi-retiring, and when you think about it it makes a lot of sense. The variety of options, cultural activities, ease of transportation, theater, sports, dining -- all make for a very attractive option. While the city is expensive (although our real estate taxes are relatively low in comparison to other cities in the US) there are options. Renting is very attractive now with rents coming down significantly and there are affordable options to purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.jerryfeeney.com
Moving from warm sunny california back into the bitter cold and heavy snow of new york? Yup, I think that's crazy.

Be aware, property and income taxes are very high now in NY and NJ. If you buy a condo look out for HOA fees. I saw one person say they were looking at $750 a month for those. Those fees come if you live there every month, or never show up.

if you choose to move to the bronx in the summer, and go back to cali in winter, it might be ok.

The important thing is to look before you buy. Come back, spend a month or 3 renting. After that time, you can decide if it is still as you remember, or if you no longer wish to live there. The bronx could have changed, you may have changed. Either or both (both did happen) may make you feel it is a great idea, or an idea whose time has passed.