The Hurst, Home Buyer in Santa Barbara County,...

>>>BAKERSFIELD, Ca.. Is this a nice place to raise a family??????

Asked by The Hurst, Santa Barbara County, CA Mon May 31, 2010

Is crime a problem in Bakersfield? I have always thought of this area as similar to Fresno, which has a bit of a bad reputation (to outsiders) my opinion. Do you know Bakersfield, the weather, crime, etc????

Answers

4
Crime is not a problem in Bakersfield, I have resided here for the past 50 years and I love this town. It is true our weather is similar to Fresno as we have all four seasons summer being the longest one. Bakersfield is known for friendly people, great restaurants and teriffic private and public schools. We have a lot of community functions and fund raisers. Unlike Santa Barbara County, Bakersfield housing is more affordable. We have lots to choose from such as gated communities situated on golf courses, housing close to Cal State University, or Bakersfield College. If you are planning to come to town, let me know I can arrange to show you around!
I also feel Bakersfield is a great place to call home. I have grown up here and feel it is a great place to raise my family.
Although you will have to make the decision that is right for you my best word of advice is to do your research and see if it fits what you are looking for.
Visit the Bakersfield City website listed below to begin your research and I wish you all the best with your plans.

Robert Watt
RE/MAX Golden Empire
DRE Lic. #01441498
http://www.robertwattrealtor.com
Bakersfield is a great place to live! Our traffic is minimal, you can get anywhere--from Seven Oaks in the far southwest to Bakersfield College and Bakersfield Country Club in the northeast in 20 minutes with our crosstown freeways.
We have excellent schools! I just attended Stockdale High School's graduation last night--scored 803 in state academics--that's fabulous--and students graduating last night in a class of 600 earned over $3 million in scholarship funds! We have excellent schools across the city, as well as private Christian and Catholic high schools, and we have many California Distinguished Schools. We have many neighborhood parks and the Kern River bike trail that stretches for 30 miles through the city. If you are concerned about crime--I cannot give statistics by neighborhood here, but you can find several gated communities with 24-hr patrol service. We are not as spread out as Fresno, with fewer farms and field between neighborhoods than Fresno has, as I remember that city. Check with our Chamber of Commerce!
Unfortunately, Federal Fair Housing Laws, prevent an agent from answering--visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached. If you are concerned about crime, visit/call the local police department, ask all your questions and hear all firsthand. See link for additional information.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakersfield-California.html