Quality of Life in 15228>Question Details

Calvin Girvin, Other/Just Looking in 75503

Would Mt. Lebanon, PA, be a good retirement area?

Asked by Calvin Girvin, 75503 Sat Sep 27, 2008

Answers

5
that would depend on your income and if you are in physical health, many homes are built on steep hills, if you found something that was not a hill, then I think it would be ok...taxes are very high but it keeps the place from crime and etc...winters are brutal here, but the rest of the year is heaven! I would suggest you look into your finaces and the tax issue, if you can afford it, I say go move there, but the homes are older and your have to prolly do many repairs to keep it in good shape and mt lebo have strict rules on homes being kept up, your be fined if you do not keep it looking nice! I love mt lebo, live there now but its not for everyone. good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 17, 2009
Mt. Lebanon is a fine suburban neighborhood of Pittsburgh, known for good schools and property investment value. There are co-ops and other retirement communities there; whether it's right for you, of course, depends on exactly what you're looking for.

The official web site has lots of information, and is a good place to start: http://mtlebanon.org/

There is a strong resale and rental market there. I just sold one in neighboring Whitehall, and have a couple active clients searching there, so I've seen many of the properties currently on the market. I used to live in the South Hills (South Park, then West Mifflin). Let me know if I can help you further, and if you have any current real estate needs. I'd be happy to assist you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 27, 2008
I met a neighbor the other day and I thought I write this for those of you who may be sick and may not be able to keep your home painted and the grass cut to the expected standard, these people, my neighbors lost their home cause they could not paint their home and keep it up to the standards of Mt Lebanon, The woman whom I met told me her husband is not expected to live, with high medical bills and her losing her job, they now lost their home and one of the factors involved she told me was that her home was not up to standard and they were fined heavily, which was a result of them losing their home, so if i were any of you on here who are older, not well and etc, be sure you can UPKEEP whatever home you buy, it was so sad to see them selling all their worldly possessions on their front lawn for a mere dollar, this broke my heart and made me rethink bout staying here into retirement because we dont have a considerable amount of cash and I just found out I have a serious medical condition now, and i dont want that to be me or anyone else!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
My mother and sister live there. Housing prices are low but taxes can be high. My mother lives in a condo so her taxes are much lower than my sister house taxes. Good option.
Hi Calvin,

Mt. Lebanon and the South Hill area including Upper St. Claire are areas that offer many different types of residential living options in many price ranges as well as retirement communites.

As a Realtor with Coldwell Banker, I have sold many homes in this area and I would be happy to assist with answering any other questions and assisting with your real estate needs. Please let me know what price range and other specific criteria you are looking for. I look forward to assisting with your questions.

Liz Caplan