Quality of Life in Albany>Question Details

Tiffany Guti…, Renter in Albany, GA

Will my mixed family encounter racism both ways?

Asked by Tiffany Gutierrez, Albany, GA Thu Feb 28, 2013

I am considering taking a job at MCLB Albany. We are currently located in Beaufort, SC. I am Black and my husband is half German half Cuban. My children have only been around the military. I am concerned about racism and them fitting in. They are biracial but look/are mostly Black. We are an atypical family in the sense that we love country music and baseball. My point is will my children encounter racism not only from whites but from the blacks as well? We plan on only doing a year in Albany while I finish my master's degree and then trying to transfer up north. We were thinking of moving into Lee County would that be okay? I've heard they don't care for Blacks there?

Answers

7
Mary Richards’ answer
Most of Albany is Black now. I grew up there around the Military Bases, in the 60's, and we didn't have any problems. Lee county appears to be mostly white, but as small towns go, I don't think you will have a problem.
thank everyone for all the answers. I did indeed get the job. So for those locally in the Albany, Ga. Is there anywhere I should stay away from?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 21, 2013
Let's start at the top.

As a biracial native New Yorker, you will encounter racism both ways. Albany has nothing to do with it. Country music (ow!) OK, I grant you that the best lyricists are in country music, but it still (DAM! That hurts!!). I hate the Yankees (Let's Go Mets!), and . . . life goes on.

Personally, I do not believe there is a community on G-d's Green Earth where differences aren't noted and people judged by them. C'est la vie. The funny thing is - you can be on one block and be hated by your neighbors and feel the same way toward them, and move around the corner and they love you and you feel the same way toward them.

Sorry about Curtis Granderson. Ha ha ha ha!!!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
Racism is terrible in Albany.. Blacks seem to display more racism than whites.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
Yes! I'm a black woman. Me and my husband came here for work 3 years ago, and we rather be somewhere else now! People look at us crazy because we dress well and talk educated! I have never been in a place more racist.

I suggest living near downtown Albany, near the river and the improvements made in the past twenty years.

Albany is a lot like Atlanta, and then again it's not a lot like Atlanta.

Three good answers - you'll get through it. Thank you for serving your country.
Web Reference: Http://intowninsider.com
tyhi,
Probably, but the fact is things are getting better. I love that your family loves country music. The more barriers break down the less there is to keep us apart. Ignorant people are everywhere as my friend Mac has said, but there are more people that just don't care about that stuff than ever.
Come on out to the Northwest, we'd love to have you as our neighbors.