Quality of Life in Oakland>Question Details

Shelly, Other/Just Looking in Oakland, CA

Why is Lake Merritt in Oakland so dirty?

Asked by Shelly, Oakland, CA Tue Apr 2, 2013

Answers

3
The Lake seems to improve every year and now that the connection to the tidal water has imrpoved it should get even better. Below is link to an Oaklander who has been tracking the work in progress!

http://oakland12thstreetproject.blogspot.com/
Hi there,

Lake Merritt is not dirty! It is actually pretty clean now! Measure DD, passed by voters some time ago, cleaned the lake up, and believe me it was really dirty ten years ago!

Really not bad at all.

If you want to find out more about the lake cleanup and get more details, maybe contact Council person Pat Kernighan, as she has a good part of the lake in her district, District Two, and helped push through Measure DD. She can give you all kinds of info.

(Also, for some reason, this keeps identifying me as a "Homebuyer"..but I am not. I am a realtor. Trying to get this changed!)
Strange....

I go to Lake Merritt quite frequently since my folks live in a high rise directly across the Lake. I have never thought nor seen it as "dirty". The City takes very good care of it and have made improvements by the addition of running paths, gardens, parks, lights. There are so many people taking advantage of this place as evidenced by the number of folks walking, jogging, boating.

It's a fabulous place to be. Take time to enjoy it....dine at Lake Chalet, or take a gondola ride.