Quality of Life in Naples>Question Details

Benzlet, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

Why do most of the swimming pools have a large screened-in enclosure around them? Does this reduce the appeal of sitting "outdoors" while?

Asked by Benzlet, Naples, FL Mon Jun 21, 2010

at the pool?

Answers

43
Txmaga’s answer
My Son-in-law said that he would like to have a pool without screening until they bought a house without screening. He thought he'd enjoy skimming the pool. That enjoyment lasted about 3 months and then it became a chore. They live in Central FL and have Live Oaks on the property --- leaves AND acorns in the pool!
I wouldn't have a pool in FLA without one! My sister lives in an area with a lot of palm trees and just keeping the pool clean was a daily task until she built hers. She now has an outdoor kitchen, bar, pool and spa all under the screened area and we can enjoy it all evening with no mosquitos!
Benzlet, having a screen does not reduce the appeal of sitting outdoors but instead enhances it. No bugs to worry about, no leaves to sweep up, just the beauty and satisfaction of being outside. And, as mentioned by another responder, it enables one to keep the sliders and windows open creating an indoor/outdoor living.
I love it and so do my customers!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 23, 2010
Too bad they're ugly as sin.
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
Also keeps snakes out of the pool!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
--unless the snakes sneak under either of the screen doors of the enclosure. (which has happened to me twice. I used left-over screening, rolled-up then flattened to fill the gap beneath both my screen-doors on the enclosure to the pool/patio.
Flag Wed Apr 2, 2014
We live in Kissimmee and have chosen to not have screen enclosures on the last 2 homes. We like the large walking area around the pool, like irregular shaped pools, find the enclosure to be distracting, unappealing and takes away from the open garden atmosphere.

Mosquitos and other bugs are only out for a few minutes at dusk, and if you are in the water they don't bother much. In the morning we have to scoop out one or 2 frogs. Another important reason not to screen is that it warms the water up to 4 degrees more than with a screen, and that is a big reduction in heating cost.

Tony Vega

http://www.SearchKissimmeeHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
I am not from Naples, obviously, but have been to Florida enough times to hazard a guess:
BUGS!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
Large screened in enclosures help to keep out insects as well as stray leaves, etc. It definitely does not reduce the appeal of sitting outdoors, in my opinion, it only enhances it! Please feel free to use my website, http://www.napleshomes.com as a resource while searching real estate. Have a great week and I look forward to the opportunity to assist with any of your real estate needs!

Ryan
http://www.NaplesHomes.com
Web Reference: http://www.napleshomes.com
Posted June 2010.
Still relevant for those newbie puzzled by these cages.
So many reasons that would only be understandable for those living in FL.
One of the resdialual benefits become awesomely apparent only AFTER they have lived their a while.

A screen enclouse around the pool provides:
1. Security
2. Reduces cleaning issue if oaks, pines or palms are nearby
3. Extend sunshine time by disfusiing the sear of direct sun
4. Keep out the flying inscets
5.Expands the effective living space in winter months by allowing all the doors and window remain open without bugs getting in.
6. Could serve as an aviary. (not recommended)
7. And if direct UV exposure is the goal, open the door and step out or move the the driveway.
It may be the owners method of trying to keep others away from their pool as a means of limiting their liability or it may be similar to a "screened in porch" with the screening serving to keep the bugs out.
I have never seen a screened pool here in Illinois . We have leaves , animals , insects , that can get into the pool . My neighbor has an electric cover that with a push of the button is deployed thus keeping out insects debris and reducing heating cost in cool times . Also keeps kids out when nobody is around .
I don't see very many homes that have screens around their pools in my area. I think one of the biggest appeals is safety. I think that people also want to keep different areas of their yard separated. I agree with the other answers that say it helps keep out the bugs and leaves as well.
Gary Puntman | http://www.ccpoolfencing.com.au
I would have to throw in insurance costs. A pool that is not enclosed is a higher risk and the premium is likely to be higher.
Keeps the NI66ERS out too!
Flag Sun Mar 30, 2014
Rest assured screened in lanai's do let the sun in as well as the breezes. A screened in lanai is an asset to the home. You'd not be able to enjoy your lanai without one. It keeps out critters as well as bugs.
http://www.NaplesPropertySearch.com

My wife says it blocks out some of the sun but other than that it is very nice......keeps mosquitos and flys out. Allows you to enjoy a meal on the patio. People want to enjoy being outdoors.....this is just another way to extend those time periods with minimal interference.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.NaplesPropertySearch.com
Screens also block 20-25% of the sun's rays. This is a good thing for glare, many plants, healthier skin and pool water overheating (yes, it happens) during the hot periods.
Flag Fri Jan 3, 2014
I believe the lanai's are screen in to afford the homeowner a bug free environment. When one has a pool it's a requirement to either screen it in or put up a fense to keep children from accidently falling in. Within the last few years one is also required to install a child guard fence inside the lanai to protect children from falling in.(when building a new pool or home). We built our home in 2000 and at that time it was not a requirement. In addition to the law the screen also keeps out other invaders and dried leaves and debris.
Because of bugs, alligators, and snakes. Unfortunately, we share paradise with these critters in Naples. Its the best way to keep them out.
No it doesn't. My brother lived in Florida and had a screened in patio and pool. It did not detracted at all from the beauty of the house or the pool. It was very nice to sit outside and not be slapping bugs all night or swat at bees. I believe I am going to do the same thing in Texas.
Having a "caged" pool is an option that most Florida pool owners elect to take for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, it keeps unwanted creatures including, flies, mosquitos, snakes, frogs, lizards etc away from your personal relaxation area. Secondly, the cage contributes to easier maintenance by keeping out wind blown materials. It also acts as a barrier for keeping out unwanted or wandering individuals.

Simply stated, the choice is yours but it seems to make complete sense to many to have a caged pool.

That is what i LOVE about that area! Keep the mosquitos out, don't bake in the sun, keep it as clean and free of critters, leaves, and filth as possible, and enjoy it even when it rains or it's windy, and the big bonus: have a nice covered area you can also use for your complete outdoor enjoyment, with exercise equipment, sauna, kitchen, lounge, whatever pleases you! It's wonderful - Now, if you don't like any of these extra bonuses, go buy a house in AZ instead.
We agree pool screens are not attractive. However, they keep birds and critters out. They enable the owner to have lighting on at night. For these reasons, they used by pool owners of most modest to high priced homes in south Florida.
Bert Nordin, Naples, FL
You almost never see them in upscale neighborhoods. It's mostly where people don't want to spend the money or the time to properly take care of their pool. They are ugly and destroy the curb appeal of your home. Don't listen to the posters that cite bugs and leaves. Please, there are bugs and leaves in all 50 states. It's a marketing ploy and Florida's dimwits fell for it. Face it Florida, if you have a screened in pool, your house is HIDEOUS!
Being from Pittsburgh (Yuck) I don't think you have any right to call Floridians dimwits. Living in Pittsburgh nominates YOU to be the DIMWIT.
Flag Sun Aug 25, 2013
You must not live in an upscale neighborhood. I would say your post is somewhat narrow-minded.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
It prevents evaporation - It keeps the water cooler - It protects your skin as you don't bake in the sun (there is nothing worse when sun reflection on water for your skin) - it protects from skin cancer. it allows you to use your pool regardless of the weather condition, and it gives you a nice enclosed private area where your kids don't wander and unwanted kids don't use your pool when you're not around, which is YOUR liability in most states.
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
Of all places on earth, I used to live in Diamond Head, Honolulu, HI - We had so many mosquitos that I would be unable to use the pool without getting a dozen bites each time, and my son and I are allergic to mosquito bites. To each his own, but I could not disagree more with you. curb appeal? the pool is not in your front lawn! bugs and leaves ARE REAL! An outdoor pool is A LOT of upkeep, and you would know if you have ever owned one.
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
Honestly, pool screens (cages) seem to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing. The 'haters' want the outdoor feel and don't want their sun filtered. The lovers like to be able to open their doors out to the pool area and use it as an extension of their home.

The screen does filter the sun - but as a Florida native who has had her share of visits to the dermatologist, that's fine with me. Also, it keeps the pool water cooler. A big plus in the summer!
Get the pool screens that remove easily - they help with cleanliness and safety and can be removed when entertaining.
You have to have a screen or fence to get permits , for insurance We have a big poll with 5ft coloumns and aluminum railing looks like a million but my husband did the work he builds, just buy a self cleaner creepy crawly thing I had screen no screen better cheaper insurance, screens get nasty and spiders love them.
Privacy! Privacy from raccoons, bugs, snakes, lizards, neighbors etc.. It also performs other great jobs. It secures the pool area from little wanderers in the neighborhood and also provide to some extent a little shading. I have had pools with and without enclosures and can tell you I prefer enclosures.
A screen around the pool keeps out bugs, snakes, leaves and other debris but most important it helps keep out neighborhood children that may be tempted to go for a swim. There have been news reports of small children drowning in Florida pools.
I haven't looked at the other replies, but they all probably have to do with safety. Time and Time again you hear in the news kids that drown because parents just don't watch the kids right. Thats probably the only reason, I mean we want everything to look good like we are Hollywood movie stars, but when it comes to kids and safety, I'll take ugly everyday
All the answers received are relavent.

I have a single family home in Naples with a screened pool and would not have it any other way and my pool man loves it. The screen in no way inhibits my views I remember when we first had our home built it was to be a night of shooting stars in abundance so we set our clock and spent about 45 minutes laying in our chase lounges watching the show. I don'[t think it would have been as much fun if we were watching for bugs etc. also, did you know, that birds will sometimes come swooping down looking for???? for dinner?

There are exceptions when a home is built on the water, the constant winds tend to keep the bug population in check.

My suggestion to my buyers, give serious thought to having a cage built around your pool; it also gives you a feeling of privacy.
Hi Benzlet. All of the answers below are pretty valid, except they missed two other reasons to have an enclosure. I read all of the names of bugs, and Murray's named the most, but there are also the ones called 'no see-ums'. They bite the hell out of you on the west coast of Florida and you never see them 'til they hurt you. The second reason is to keep alligators out of your pool. There's nothing quite like waking up in the morning, eating breakfast, and finding Al swimming in your pool. It has been known to happen, so Google it if you don't believe me.

I used to spend a lot of time visiting a relative in Cape Coral. He had a large enclosure on a new house. The appeal of sitting out there at night was still wonderful. Everything is visible, you just don't get bitten to death.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
Screened enclosures around the swimming pool are not typical in North Eastern Ohio, however there are safety codes for fencing height around the pool to keep children from getting in without supervision. These enclosures are more common in Florida... I would suspect it is to keep out the golf balls...
I've always thought they were primarily to keep out the pesky mosquitoes, dog flies, deer flies, horse flies, and all of the leaves and pine straw, but I see the answer, "liabilitiy." Typically, a 4ft tall fence is required for liability, but now I'm wondering if the screen actually protects one's liability in a similar manner as the fence. Does anyone know that for certain?
Liability and child safety. Most of the screens can be removed from a sleeve in the concrete quite easily if the pool is going to be supervised.
Andrew
Screened enclosures are used primarily to help keep the pool free from leaves and other debris.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
Phoenix law only requires that you have a pool fence or a special type of lock on the door to the pool that would prevent a child from getting outdoors to the pool without supervision. The laws are to protect children. If the Buyer does not have children, they do not have to comply, but there is a swimming pool addendum that all Buyers must sign if there is a pool explaining the law. Florida screens are a completely different animal so to speak. These screens are for keeping snakes, bugs, etc. out of the pool. They do not protect children from drowning. I have relatives in Florida and they have an additional child protection fence within the screened area. I have been outdoors many times sitting within these areas and I did not find the atmosphere was any different. It does shade the area some during the day, but believe me, you still have plenty of sun! Hope this helps!
HI:
In Arizona it is the law to have a fenced in pool area. Child drownings by young ones have cost many families a child. The law is strictly enforced. No matter how viligent a parent is accidents do happen.
As you can see there is no right or wrong answer. I have a pool cage and screening around my pool and would not change it. When we have guest over I just open the sliders and this makes the home very open to the out doors. I also don't have to worry about what you might find in your pool from time to time. It also gives you some shade in the summertime. You either have to have a pool cage or fence. Of course there is the Bugs and they bite even late at night.
Hi Benzlet,

As far as the aspects of the appeal - one thing I particularly like about screened pools is that many homes have sliding or pocket doors that allow the home to be opened up to the pool area. Screening allows this and extends the "living" area of the interior of the home to the Lanai or pool deck. This is very appealing when entertaining and provides much more opportunity to allow free visitation among a group of people. I wouldn't think this would be a viable option without the area being screened. It lends much more of a tropical or island atmosphere to the home when it is opened in such a way.

Dianne Scott
Web Reference: http://www.DianneScott.com
Good consideration-we are contemplating screen or no screen but this might just be the info I needed to go ahead and screen. Thanks!
Flag Sat Feb 2, 2013
The other agents have certainly brought up the issues of why screening...bugs, kids, sun block, etc. There are many community pools that do not have screening, however if it was me and I had a single family pool home, I would not have it any other way. Hope you have gotten the insights you are looking for. Good luck!

Chris
Web Reference: http://www.spinarealty.com
I personally- do not appreciate screened in pools! There clearly are benefits in having the screen enclosures as has been mentioned in earlier answers.

Screen enclosures can be expensive and they do need to be maintained and re-screened periodically.

Its a personal choice.
It is also important to keep small children from falling in a pool and drowning. In Florida, we have many accidents involving small children and pools that are unscreened. Many laws will require you to screen or fence in a pool area for your protection as well as the protection of small children.
Hi Benzlet,

There are a couple more reasons, actually. Screens can not only keep insects and other things out but can also keep the pool from extra dirt like the debris from flowering trees and shrubs.

I have spoken with many home owners who have opted not to "cage" in their pool and this is what I am told: 1) a screen tended to make the pool area darker, 2) the cost of a screen seemed out of proportion to the benefits and 3) since hotels don't screen their pools areas in and most guests aren't bothered, they thought they'd do the same (and are happy with the decision).

As with so many real estate details, it's personal choice. In Naples you have many opportunities either way.

Cynthia Ann Corogin
REALTOR
ShortSale and Foreclosure Resource
e-Pro
A screen room around the pool is a personal decision. When we were having our pool built, I kept going back and forth...and forth and back again. We did end up with the pool screened enclosure and really love it. It keeps the pool area cleaner and in the evenings, it keeps the bugs out. It also blocks some of the damaging sun rays when you are using the pool in the daylight hours. Our web page has a photo of us along with the dog and cat by the hot tub in our backyard.

Again, it is a personal decision, we have friends and family with no screened enclosure and they love their pool as much as we love ours.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.ronanddebbie.net
Keep in mind that most screened enclosures do keep mosquitos and the likes away--as for reducing the appeal of sitting outdoors--it really is a matter of preference.