Quality of Life in Las Vegas>Question Details

California M…, Real Estate Pro in 92075

Why are there no professional sports in Las Vegas?

Asked by California Mortgage Broker, 92075 Thu May 17, 2007

Vegas has grown so much in the past 15 years that I'd expect at least 1-2 professional sports teams? What can a sport enthusiast do there?

Answers

9
Pro Sports and a gambling epi center don't mix.
Web Reference: http://getprequalified.com
The size of the Las Vegas market ranks 51st in the United States. Before professional teams would consider that market, they would have to look at more populous markets such as Albuquerque, Oklahoma City and Louisville, Kentucky.

The size and quality of the market would have to be one of the major considerations any sporting team would evaluate before moving to a city. The size of the market probably does not justify a pro team. The issues of quality of the market already been well stated.
I would agree with Lawrence - gambling and sports are not a very good mix. The players could be tempted to gamble on their games. I am for keeping professional sports out of Las Vegas.
Many of the previous answers are very true and accurate as well. However one answer I did not see is that Las Vegs does not support a loosing team. I am a Las Vegas native and when I was growing up my father was the lead photographer for UNLV and at that time is when the Running Rebels were winnning consistently (back when Jerry Tarkanian was coach), we were consistently in the Sweet 16 and in the Final 4 often. Many times you had to know the right people to get tickets. Same went for our AAA baseball team that at one time was the Las Vegas Stars (now the Area 51's). However anytime these teams were not doing well the arena's would be next to empty. In fact at these times you could often get free tickets for buying a sandwich at Subway (and believe me that is not a joke). So it would be very hard to financially support a team if they were not consistently doing well. Our mayor, Oscar Goodman, has been trying very hard to get a professional team to Las Vegas though, and I know at one point (some time ago) he was very close to getting an NBA team to Las Vegas.

Raivo makes a good point, recently we had an NBA All Star game in Las Vegas and it was as though all hell broke loose there were loads of gun shots, gang activity, etc, etc. and this is not the sort of publicity that Las Vegas needs or wants.
Web Reference: http://www.C21TeamHouse.com
Well, depends on how you define professional sports. For leagues like the NBA, NFL, and baseball, the answers below are on target. In addition, sports teams generally do better financially when there's an established base of residents. I know people live in Vegas year-round, but a huge number of potential fans would have to be tourists. And tourists from Los Angeles, San Franciso, New York, Chicago, etc., already have teams they root for. So you wouldn't see the team loyalty, and thus the regular, repeat paying fans, that you do in those other cities.

On the other hand Las Vegas does have the one-time/periodic competitions in boxing, MMA (mixed martial arts, etc.). They're big draws...people root for the individual, not the team...and the events are big enough that people will fly or drive in to watch.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2007
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Pray they NEVER bring the NBA here to Las Vegas. That kind of crowd associated with NBA are rude, cheap, and scary. They chase away other tourists and don't tip. Not to mention the violence and shooting that always happen when they are in town.
I am a native Las Vegan and have long pondered this question but the main reason is the presence of leagalized gaming and most notably legalized sports betting! In my opinion, we will get an NHL team first and maybe an NBA team since there is two large indoor arenas in the planning stage. But NFL will be very difficult because of the NFL's adversarial relationship with the Las Vegas Mayor and our marketing arm, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. The NFL has banned any Las Vegas ads on the Super Bowl and has done everything possible to "outlaw" Super Bowl parties at the casino resorts! In short, I think that we will have a professional sports team in Las Vegas in the next 5 years!
Let me add that the NBA has finally authorized an "exploratory" commission to study Las Vegas as a potential future team site. WE DO HAVE GREAT SPORTS here even without 1st-tier pro teams. We have a great hockey team, The Las Vegas Wranglers, Baseball with The 51's (Dodgers farm team), and NASCAR and other auto racing. And don't forget our UNLV sports teams.
Unfortunately, professional leagues frown upon teams moving to Las Vegas because sports gambling is legalized there. It still may happen, but this explains why there is no Las Vegas team when the size of the city would lead one to believe there should be a team there. The good news is that since sports gambling is legal in Vegas, it is actually very easy to find people who are quite interested in whatever games are going on.