Stella, Home Buyer in Long Beach, CA

Which parts of the Wrigley area are the "safe parts"?

Asked by Stella, Long Beach, CA Fri Jul 23, 2010

I'm participating in the NSP2 program. I've found some houses in the Wrigley area that are within my purchase price. All of them are north of Willow.
Is this the "good part" of Wrigley? I already have a realtor and lender but my realtor says he can't really give me the answers I need about neighborhoods because of his fiduciary responsibilities.

Answers

8
If a real estate agent can not answer a question even about the neighborhood safety then please use another agent. Long Beach gave NSP2 prospective buyers an adequate list of real estate agents. I recommend finding someone who really knows Long Beach not just the program.
p.S. I am also using the NSP 2 program.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
Hi Stella,

Visit http://www.longbeach.gov/police/statistics.asp for public information. Consider a personal visit to the police department in the Wrigley area. Bring donuts. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 24, 2010
Good afternoon Stella, Your agent has only a fiduciaty responsibility to you as his client. I am a broker associate with Boardwalk Properties and my name is Justin Potier. If you have a buyer/agent agreement signed I can not speak to you, but if you have no entered into such agreement, I would be more than happy to speak with you. My direct line is 562.480.0684
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
Rather than the specific spot, I'd avoid buying where there is a multi family building next door. I'd also suggest checking Megan's Law website for registered sex offenders. Press Telegram has a crime map also. But saying all that, there are no guarantees in life. Bad things happen in good neighborhoods. Look for a nice, well-kept street. Try to buy the "worst" house in the "best" location, meaning curb appeal and work needed.

Get a nice dog, not a vicious one, and if you are still worried, get an alarm system. Have your agent give you a neighborhood breakdown.

If you are still nervous, perhaps you should consider a condo with security. But the bad people could be in the same complex with you. LOL.

It is always location,location, location. Try to avoid a busy street, try to get as much land as possible, Avoid living next to apartment buildings (mostly because their balconies might look down into your backyard, and your privacy is less. But look at your price range and do the best you can. Home ownership is rewarding. Become active on your street, and just one neighbor can help upgrade everyone else's house and community. Wrigly has a lot of charm.
Hi Stella:

I have had a few clients over the years buy in Wrigley, sell in Wrigley or want to buy in Wrigley. Parts of it are extremely charming with great pocket neighborhoods that some folks are quite loyal to and say they will stay forever. I like Peter's answer because it makes sense.

Looking at police reports can be helpful but you should look at the stats in areas where you think it is considered safe by most people's views to compare... you'd be surprised the overall amount of crime that occurs in what is commonly deemed a Megalopolis (where one neighborhood/city ends and another one begins seamlessly).

Yes north seems to be better than closer to PCH area in that there may be less density hence less of a mobility factor (In this instance " mobility factor" relates to people moving in and out. Generally because of renting and not ownership. Home ownership typically keeps people from moving around so much.) but if you go west there are great neighborhoods. Every hear of Christmas Tree Lane? That pocket starts pretty close to PCH so there goes that theory.

One last point; Wrigley does have a neighborhood association. Call the city to get the names and numbers. I bet the association can tell you all the details you want without the issues of "Realtor fiduciary".. which by the way is more in the category of ethics; in that we are supposed to be unbiased ... sort of like the media (lol).

Susan Boyle
Top Producing Agent
Coldwell Banker Coastal Alliance
Hi Stella. All of us Realtors always have these types of questions asked of us. If an agent sticks his neck out and agrees to tell you that the area is safe and assures you all is fine. What happens when you move in and you're robbed the next day? The agent might be held liable because they told you that.

What I do with my clients is I tell them to drive around the area during different time periods, and also speak to a few neighbors who might be walking there dog and simply ask them how they like the area and if they have had any problems.

Remember too that if you asked 25 people this question you will get 25 different answers. The decision should be your's because everyone has a different comfort level of what they find safe based on personal experiences and personal bias.

Peter Solomon
MetroCal Properties
562-343-2604
Web Reference: http://www.soldbypeter.com
Stella, I have to agree with your realtor. We are able to give information regarding which are the "safe neighborhoods". I would recommend that you check with the Long Beach Police Department, possibly there is a web site with crime statics.

I don't know if you are looking at the new listing at 2513 Maine Avenue in the Wrigley neighborhood but I can tell you that this home was owned by a long time realtor in Long Beach. She raised her family in this house. She has since deceased.

This area also has 2 very active associations that stay very involved with the community. At each of their monthly meetings we always have the locat beat cops present to answer any questions.
North of Willow is great. I would avoid the southern part - closer to PCH. The areas between Willow and Wardlow are pretty nice & there are some very beautiful homes there.

Good Luck,

Karen Miller
Century 21 Beachside