Trulia Roger, Home Buyer in Alameda, CA

Which borough is best to live in if you work downtown manhattan but enjoy peace and quiet

Asked by Trulia Roger, Alameda, CA Mon Apr 30, 2007

Answers

8
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
No Problem Allesandra
When I first came to Trulia in May, I answered a few older questions without realizing they were old (never noticed the date under the question!). Someone pointed that out to me........so now I make sure to check the date before answering.
It's certainly your prerogative to answer any questons you choose to! I , personally, prefer to deal with current questions asked by people who are waiting for an answer.
Have a great day..
Debbie
So, this is a tough question. One the one hand, if you work in downtown manhattan, you should live in Manhattan... then if you enjoy peace and quiet, it is not about the Borough, as much as the neighborhood... so I'll tell you not to live in the village, SoHo, NoHo, Chelsea, et al - but live in the upper east side, gramercy park, some parts of the upper west side - then downtown brooklyn is "quiet" DUMBO - sorta, windsor terrace, park slope, tough call.
Oh man, what a question. The easy answer is the 50th floor of a luxury condo in Manhattan. But if I had to give recommendations there are 2 great options for downtown Manhattan commuters: Staten Island and Brooklyn - Brooklyn being the head and shoulders preferred pick.
Brooklyn gives you the best of city living: Restaurants, Culture, Safety, 24 hour conveniences and xcelent public transport.
Web Reference: http://brooklyn.com
HI again Allessandra

I see you are expending a lot of time and energy answering questions that were asked over 2 years ago! If you look under the question you will see the date it originated.

Best wishes
Debbie Rose
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 6, 2009
This is a question that many clients ask. I always recommend that professionals working in Manhattan should also live here. If you're looking for peace and quiet and after a long day's work, I think the best neighborhood for you would be Battery Park. You have the ultimate convenience of walking to work, but the calm tranquility of water views and quiet nights on the esplanade.
I would agree there are plenty of great quite neighborhoods in Manhattan to choose from but if you're adventurous look at Staten Island (St. George area is getting better). On the water with great city views & only a ferry boat ride away (15 minutes).
Battery Park City in lower Manhattan is a pre planned self contained quiet suburban style living within walking distance to Wall Street and the financial district. For more info about BPC link below
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Manhattan baby! Just pick the right neighborhood and you are set. From Central Park West, to East End avenue, maybe turtle bay, the 20's 30's east...etc... manhattan has a ton of great neighborhoods that are quiet, full of NYC conveniences, and offer easy access to the Wall Street area.