Quality of Life in New York>Question Details

Kml, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Where to move after living in NYC?

Asked by Kml, New York, NY Tue Nov 13, 2007

I've heard people talk about South Orange, Maplewood, Milburn ( as more reasonably priced alternatives to tried and true downs a like Short Hills, Summit, etc.) that are close to the NY via train.
I would be curious to hear from some people on this board about the pros and cons to those towns
When do the towns start getting to close areas you dont want to raise your two kids?

Answers

5
There is life after the city! Have you thought of Weschester? We are an easy commute into Grand Central some towns are as short as 18 minutes and the top of the county is and hour +. We have cities with thriving downtowns; New Rochelle, & White Plains. Also undergoing a dramatic change is Port Chester. Both White Plains and New Rochelle are undergoing dramatic construction with luxury residences, some with stunning views of Long Island Sound.

Check out our website for fantastic information and dynamic maps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2007
What a great question. I've lived in NYC 65 years, so what can I say. There are many great places to live outside NYC. What is the main concern of yours? Traveling to and from work? Taxes? property size?
Schools? All must be taken into account. Please respond and maybe I can help. Ken
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2007
Terrific question. Consider what it is that you are really looking for. Do you want to completely change your lifestyle? Is the city too crowded? Winters too cold? Do you have children that will enter college in a year or more? We relocated to North Carolina 14 years ago. There were appealing advantages for us, but everyone is different. The kids were in a less stressful enviroment, college tuition is about 1/3 as out of state, home prices are great, the weather great, winters are much milder. Taxes are incredibly low compared to where we lived in NJ. It's proven to be a great place to raise the kids. Feel free to contact me anytime to ask about New Bern, NC. rickthompson1@suddenlink.net
Depends on your situation, work, home maker. North Jersey is expensive with prop taxes around 12K for 1 family home 15 mins to Manhattan. South of Hoboken is a bit cheaper but longer comute to city. You should rely on pathTrains schedules, consider .and as far as kids concern...well, provide.
Hi Kml,

The towns you are referring to are located along the Gladstone Branch of NJ Transit. What you should probably do is review crime statistics of all towns along that line to decide which ones would meet your safety criteria.

If you contact me through my website, I will forward you statistics that might help you decide which locations best meet your needs.

Good luck Kml!

-Marc
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007