Quality of Life in Chicago>Question Details

Rusty Payton, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

Where is a good place to donate a used (broken screen) iPhone? Am getting the 5 and want to put the old one to use for a good cause.?

Asked by Rusty Payton, Chicago, IL Wed Nov 14, 2012

Answers

4
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
Donating it is a very nice idea...however.........I recently saw a segment on a tv show that highlighted a company that buys old phones - broken or otherwise.

In fact, this company apparently has kiosks in some malls where you can place the item, punch in some information, and it gives you cash back, on the spot!!! - almost like an ATM for used phones!

Wish I coud be more specific, but..........
Maybe if you google it, you can find the name of the company - try googling "selling used phones", or some similar variation.

good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2012
Thanks. Yes. Heard about that ATM and posted a comment on my own blog. Unfortunately, there are none in Chicago or nearby. Heres hoping to that changing! Thanks for the idea though ; )
Flag Wed Nov 14, 2012
Rusty,

Verizon used to take old phones and donate them to soldiers. I'm not sure if the program is still going.
My wife is a nursery school teacher. And I always take my old phones (removing batteries, when possible), and give it to her, so the children can play with them.

Oddly enough most of the kids don't play "telephone" when they use them... they hold them out in front of their faces and yell "Say Cheese!"... I guess a sign of our times.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Go to a Best Buy, they got those donation bins for old electronics.