Quality of Life in Atlanta>Question Details

planning4myf…, Renter in Lawrenceville, GA

Where do I start?

Asked by planning4myfuture, Lawrenceville, GA Wed Mar 6, 2013

Hello I have a small family (a six year old, fiance, and myself) I am also an educator. I was wondering what would be a nice area in Georgia for us to live in. I am also looking to for a rental home. I am sick of apartment living. Keep in mind that I currently live in Miami Florida and I am looking to move early June.

Answers

5
I will help you get settled and to have a happy home/community experience. I would recommend Cobb or Cherokee. Betty 770-928-7439..lots of opportunities and choices.
Do you know about HUD's Good neighbor next door program? The one where educators can buy a house for 50% off list.

"Teachers: You may participate in the Good Neighbor Next Door program as a Teacher if you are employed as a full-time teacher by a state-accredited public school or private school that provides direct services to students in grades pre-kindergarten through 12. In addition, the public or private school where you are employed as a teacher must serve students from the area where the home you are purchasing is located in the normal course of business."

If I were a teacher, at your stage in life, then I would start and stop with the Good neighbor program - that's the greatest deal available - you just don't get the control over choosing exactly where you want to live. You must choose from available, HUD foreclosure inventory.

In many cases HUD gets these houses move in ready and many are in the price range under $250K...

Check the web reference.

Employment is required, so maybe you should lease for 6-12 months before you jump in.

Regardless, where to live? I suggest the Intown Atlanta, Decatur, south Buckhead, Brookhaven areas.

Or, as a really good way to anchor in to a community, if I were a teacher I would live in my school district and keep life and work as local as possible.

As a caveat to that, filter your choices through the Good Neighbor program first, however the only problem that you'll find with the Good Neighbor program is that almost none of the houses for sale will be in the Intown Atlanta, Decatur, south Buckhead, Brookhaven areas.

Welcome to Hiram, Rex and Dawsonville...

Check the web reference.

Or, as a really good way to anchor in to a community, if I were a teacher I would live in my school district and keep life and work local as possible.

Welcome to Hiram, Rex and Dawsonville..
I can set up an account for you that easily let you explore different areas and see different price points within those areas. This will help you to narrow down areas that you would feel most comfortable in.
Why thanks Mr. Davis. I will greatly appriciate that.
Flag Wed Mar 6, 2013
I would highly recommend that you work with REALTOR that knows the area ATLANTA well.
You will need a good school district for your growing child and ofcourse near to place of work.

The Realtors service is of NO cost to you as his/her payment is done by the seller/landlord of the property.

The agents also can help you with renting a house.

Call the area you want to be in and interview a couple of agents that you can work with.

GOOD LUCK.