Quality of Life in Knoxville>Question Details

Rich Mathison, Home Seller in Atlanta, GA

What's the best part of Knoxville for young families?

Asked by Rich Mathison, Atlanta, GA Tue Jan 29, 2008

Moving to Knoxville soon with my wife and three kids: boy 14, girl 12, boy 9. Curious about the best overall neighborhood for families in regards to parks, activities, schools.

Answers

10
Jamie Smith’s answer
As a Realtor, I cannot steer you in any direction, but personally my wife and I love the Hardin Valley, Farragut areas the most. But all of west Knoxville would be favorable for the majority of buyers. We have 2 young kids and a dog as well. So we prefer to be somewhere safe and convenient. Knoxville does have a broad choice of options based on what your wants and needs are and it has something for everyone. You can live in Karns or Powell area and feel like you’re away from most of the hustle bustle, but yet you’re only a few minutes away. You can be out in Corryton and get some of the country life, which is a little more rural, but a very nice area. Then you have the northern parts of the city like Fountain City and Halls. Both are very nice and have lots to offer, but they are what most call the older parts of Knoxville. Then we have South and East Knoxville which are pretty large areas and offer their own amenities and conveniences as well. Hope this helps.

Curious what brings you to Knoxville? What part of Atlanta are you coming from? I use to live in Buford before I came to Knoxville. Tell me about your family and I can give you pointers. Also let me know about your home preferences and wish list. Are schools important or will your kids be going private? What things do you all like? Ex: Movies, Shopping, Lake, Restaurants, Outdoor Activates, City life...etc. With this information I can get you some great info on Knoxville. I also have a great relocation package with lots of information we can mail to you. Just send me your contact info and address and we will get it out to you.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Be sure to check out my website at http://www.AtHomeKnoxville.com , it has all the homes for sale in greater Knoxville and is very user friendly.

If you need any further assistance you can call, text or email me anytime.

Jamie Smith
865-385-1071
Jamie@KRET.biz
Jamie, I would love a relocation package if still available. My husband and I are looking to relocate within the next year and need some information on gated communities in the Knoxville/Sevierville/Gatlinburg area. dmegan96@icloud.com
Flag Sat Jul 5, 2014
When we relocated to Knoxville 6 years ago, we had the opportunity to visit over several weekends to get "a feel" for the area that best fit us. Knoxville is generally divided amongst North, South, East and West.

I would suggest visiting http://www.knoxschools.org for school info and report cards for schools. I would also check with local police departments and county websites for pertinent information. Knoxville is a great town and there are alot of activities to enjoy. This is the first town we have lived where we actually enjoy visiting downtown. There are many family friendly festivals and Christmastime is wonderful downtown with an ice skating rink that is put up every year.

Good luck and I am available for any other questions you may have.

Lisa Cross
Southeast Referral Associates
910-603-8412
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 3, 2012
"best overall neighborhood for families" is a tough question to answer. All parts of Knoxville & Knox County have their own attractions depending of course on what you're looking for.

The north Knox County areas of Halls & Powell are very nice if you're looking for more of a country environment.

East Knox County is still pretty rural but there is lots of stuff to do for families with parks, little league, and nearby Norris Lake.

West Knox County including The Town of Farragut has more of most everything if you're looking for convenience to shopping and services.

You might consider touring all the areas of Knoxville and Knox County before settling on just one section.

I have a complimentary package of information for newcomers I would be happy to send you including a map of Knoxville and Knox County.

You can view all of the Knoxville area Realtors listings on my website, http://www.KnoxvilleHomeCenter.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 25, 2008
Hey
I am not a realtor, so I can say I think West Knoxville is the best. Farragut Schools are great. My kids graduated from Farragut and had a great experience. There is one huge campus with intermediate, middle and the high school which I found very convenient. I am actually a builder in West Knoxville. I have built over 130 in a great subdivision called Walnut Grove which has lots of kids. I am retiring to Greensboro, Georgia as soon as I sell the last seven homes there. So if you are interested contact me at cwood1820@aol.com and I will make you a great deal. I just dropped all my prices $30-40,000 of the regular selling prices. A similar home I sold for $389900 last august...I will now sell for $349,900.(all are basement homes) good luck on your move, Knoxville is a great place to raise kids.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 11, 2008
West Knoxville has more in just about every category.While Realtors cannot steer,they can be forthright and offer personal opinions.Most home sales are in West Knoxville also resale rates as well as the highest appreciation rates.
http://www.knoxcounty.org will provide you with some usefull infor as well as http://www.BUYknoxhomes.com
or knoxera.com
Rich,
As a lot of things in real estate the correct answer is "it depends." Knoxville is a wonderful city with so many excellent neighborhoods. To tell someone that you should live on one side or the other really does you a disservice. It depends on you....what do you want/need as far as size, price range, job location, what you and your family like to do, etc. My recommendation to you would be to find an agent you feel comfortable with and create a team with them to find the house and neighborhood that would best meet your needs. As agents, we are professional house hunters, and do this sort of thing all of the time. Once we know what your wants and needs are we can narrow the focus for you so that you don't spend a lot of time running around, especially in a town with which you are not familiar.

Any of the agents that have answered the question for you would do a good job. As a buyer, the fees for agent services are usually paid for by the seller....making them free to you.

I can't say enough good about Knoxville. We are a small town with a lot of big city amenities. We have parks everywhere. We are surround by 7 lakes and are only an hour or so from the mountains. There is plenty of shopping available. We have several excellent hospitals. I think our schools provide a lot of bang for the buck. There isn't much that we don't have but If we don't have it we are only 3-4 hours from places that do.

Our weather is pretty moderate but we still have seasons although this January has been milder than usual.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Web Reference: http://knoxcastles.com
My wife and I love west knoxville. The expansion is picking up in west knoxville with the addition of Turkey Creek shopping area. We have seen a huge upswing in listings showing this as a positive. For example "...Minutes from Turkey Creek."

So if being close to great shopping and restaurants, west knoxville would be my choice.
Check out Harbor Cove and Timberlake Subdivision in Halls. Ammenities abound for families and convenient.
Web Reference: http://brendajolly.net
Hi Rich,

What brings you to Knoxville?

One thing I want to point out is that Realtors are not allowed to steer buyers towards a certain location. That violates the law. Also, what may be nice n'hood for me man not be for you and vice versa.

However, in terms of parks, activities, shopping/dining, schools that rate high on their report cards, n'hoods that appreciate very well, etc...you probably will want to start your search in West Knoxville. I have lived in Knoxville for the past 16 years and have lived in North Knoxville as well as West Knoxville and can say that each area was nice to live in. However, West Knoxville has everything you're looking for and more. Concord Park off of Northshore is a great park with walking trails, ducks, huge playground, volley ball courts, and is also on Fort Loudon Lake.

Depending on your price range, Farragut, Northshore/Concord/Bluegrass, Hardin Valley, Choto areas will serve you well. West Knox is more expensive, to get a nice house you're looking at spending $250K+.

If you have any other questions, write to me on here or offline at adelina@adelinarotar.com
Web Reference: http://www.RotarTeam.com
Here's a link for info on all the schools: http://www.kcs.k12tn.net/schools/schools.htm Bearden and West High Schools are recommended as being better for college prep. There are more activities available out West, too. If you need help finding your new home just let me know.