Quality of Life in Mendocino>Question Details

Hippie, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

What's Mendocino like?

Asked by Hippie, San Francisco, CA Fri Sep 14, 2007

We're going to Mendocino on vacation next week. I've heard lots of great things about the place, and I'm wondering what I should know about the area. In particular, I'd like to own a home in the forest that's still within driving distance of the basics (hospitals, doctors, art, shops, etc). Is the Mendocino area a good place to own property? Is the market subject to the same ups and downs as most other places? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

4
This question was asked quite a while ago but the answer is still relevant:

Mendocino is a quality-of- life enhancing place to live. The ocean, trees, forests, rivers and wild life are all around which gives the Mendocino Coast its enormous appeal. If you are looking for pure air, excellent water, an emphasis on natural foods and a relaxed life style surrounded by gorgeous nature and friendly people, this is the place to come and live. Uniquely, combined with its many other charms, Mendocino also has a vibrant community and rich cultural life, including annual Art, Film and Music festivals. And, world-class, ocean-view restaurants!

There are many homes nestled in the trees on the market from which to choose. Depending where you eventually decide to buy, the driving distance from a home in the forest to shops and art can be as little as 15-20 minutes. The hospital in Ft. Bragg is about 25 minutes from Albion and 12-15 minutes from the village of Mendocino.

For shopping, In Mendocino, there is a Harvest Market, several bakeries, health food store, gift and clothing stores and so on. Ft. Bragg, a much bigger town but less than 15 minutes away, has Safeway and Harvest Market, a McDonald's and a Starbucks, hardware and home improvement stores, etc..

In regard to your question about owning property in Mendocino, property values have steadily decreased here, as elsewhere, over the past few years. Needless to say, this is advantageous for a buyer, especially given the current very low interest rates. If you are thinking long-term, whether or not you would recoup your investment, noone can know for sure if or when. Right now, it looks as though the market is going to improve, slowly.
Mendocino is a remote coastal village north of San Francisco about three hours. I have lived here for 20 years, and the changing sunsets, fog, rain, and sunny days keep every day varied and captivating. I feel like I retired at age 30 when I moved here, and still feel that way! The market has dropped somewhat here on the coast, and I have a perfect getaway house in mind for you. It's in the woods, and priced in the upper $200k range, it just fell out of escrow so I took a look last week and thought wow, this would be terrific for someone wanting to come up to hike, abalone dive, kayak, see art, and enjoy our local restaurants. It's small, but for a little more you get more house, let me know your needs. My email address is mendocino111@yahoo.com and I would be happy to send you some property links. There is a hospital nearby in Fort Bragg, the restaurants and grocery stores are geared towards organic and fresh, and there are great farmer's markets in the summertime as well as a film, music, mushroom & wine, and whale festival. I will work hard to be your Realtor and find you exactly what you want. Truly, Deirdre Lamb
Web Reference: http://www.PamelaHudson.net
Absolutely one of the absolute gems of California if you are fortunate enough to be able to live there on a full time basis. Beautiful countryside, dramatic seaside. If you are afraid of heights it is not for the faint of heart. Jenner is my favorite place. If you want to live in the forrest, Guernville or Forrestville are also beautiful places to live. Cazadero is a small town and an absolutely beautiful place to live. It is situated on Austin Creek and is an absolute dream.

And, it is within 30 minutes of all the necessities in Petaluma.

If you go further north, Fort Brag, Sea Ranch, Shelter Cove, it is much more remote... but even more beautiful.

If you have the opportunity to live there... you will definitely be living a dream.

Totally amazing lifestyle. I hope you discover your dream.
It's a wonderful quaint place. In fact I am here right now on a small holiday.

Mendocino is a great place to own property. It has some beach front property and some in the hills. It is on the pricey side compared to the Bay Area. Since it is a resort area it does not experience as many up's and downs.

Fort Bragg is the closest larger community with it's own hospital.
Web Reference: http://pamwitnerbauer.com
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA