Quality of Life in Columbus>Question Details

Teresa, Both Buyer and Seller in 27330

What neighborhoods of Columbus Georgia are most safe and pleasant? Are there any areas to avoid?

Asked by Teresa, 27330 Thu Jul 10, 2008

Answers

20
Real Estate professionals won't tell you anything of use. I have lived in Columbus for 6 years and this is my experience. If you have a family with school age children you want to be in the North Side High School district. Almost all of the amenities (shopping, movie theaters and restauraunts) are on exit 10. The best area (and newest is out on exit 10). If you want a place with fewer McMansions, but still reasonablly safe and the school district isn't horrible exit 6,7, and 8 are not bad, just stay on the east side of the highway. If it is in your budget exit 6-10 are safe bets. Ft. Benning up to south side of exit 6 are pretty much ghetto and high crime areas with poor school districts. If you have the money to spend there are very nice communities on river road and in the Green Island Area, but property there starts mainly around $400,000 and the kids go to private school (Brookstone). If you can afford it Green Island is a very nice area with great views of Lake Oliver from most of the properties there. Hope this helps more than a generic real estate agents non-answer answer.
Actually, you can get some fairly cheap property off of River Road, simply go down Mobley Road and you can find very middle class neighborhoods in the low 100,000 dollar range. Source - I live there
Flag Thu Mar 26, 2015
You may find this website useful. It's the local paper, and they put out a crime map of the city:
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/02/01/2930310/2013-stats-show-worst-residential.html#
Flag Mon Feb 10, 2014
what area code is that?
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
We do have to be careful in how we answer questions like this as Realtors because we don't want to steer anyone to a certain area. What we can do is send you to resources that will tell you about schools and crime stats in our area so that you can judge yourself. We put some of these resources on our website to help people find the areas they like our link to Great Schools. It is an independent resource.

So...although I cannot tell you directly what areas are best - I can point you in the right direction to find out for yourself! I hope this helps. Wayne
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 21, 2009
Goat you really are a mentally challenged to put it nicely, it's a discrimination and steering issue which prohibits agents from being allowed to say if one neighborhood is good or bad, it's also subjective and opinion.

Case in point, I've sold homes to people where I started out showing them in areas I thought were good and then they ended up wanting to buy in areas I personally thought were total crap.

Agents are permitted to supply buyers with information or information sources about crime statistics which most people with half a brain can take one look at and see if the area is safe or not. Besides any buyer would first visit the house and the neighborhood before actually buying the house. It's usually quite obvious if your in a bad neighborhood just by opening your eyes and ears,, taking a look how clean the streets are, take a look if there are a lot of boarded up homes in the area loaded with graffiti. I'm no rocket scientists but if you need a Realtor or anyone else to sit you down and explain to you that these may be bad areas, then you may have some "other" real issues.

One can also call the local police department to ask about crime in the area.

Goat obviously is mad at all Realtors because he blames them for losing out on a home purchase due to his own fault, I read in one of his previous posts something about a bidding war and he thought that all agents just say that to get the price up on you. I think his own conspiracy theory personality may have something to do with it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 20, 2009
Real Estate professionals won't tell you anything of use.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It isn't a question of "of use", it's a question of legality. Real estate agents are prohibited by LAW from answering this question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 20, 2009
Agree with most folks here-Columbus GA is an area that you must personally visit. In any city there are good and bad areas. I like to visit the area.in question at night-sometimes you can get a better feel for an area. Good Luck everyone moving forward-especially real estate agents.
I am looking for a 1 bedroom apts with big rooms and is safe to live and not over 500.dollars a month
now see statements like these is why people don't get along. stop saying the north comes and cause crime there , get it the south cause crime to their own just like the north to their own and now and then people from other places cause to all. WONDER IF ANY OF YOU ARE GROWN UPS AS I READ THESE STATEMENTS. why can't people just tell the dang truth..... in every place you have areas that aren't as nice as others and every place has professionals that live in crime areas as well as nice aka less crime areas , maybe because they grew up in that neighborhood or parents home or like the commute or for whatever reason....... TO THE PEOPLE ASKING .. you see you going to get hate email ... so just take some time and just do like me drive around for yourself .. none of these people can tell you your choice or taste in what's great or better for you and yours!!!! AND YES I WAS RAISED IN COLUMBUS and when i came home was disappointed to see bars on houses and this is down the street from AFLAC.
Im relocating to Columbus ga ,what area should i consider i have a teenage daughter so im looking for a great high school
victory drive. recently relocated here and currently looking for a place. avoid victory dr.
Hello to all I was raised in willis plaza on the south side, you have to realize we had, and still professional people who live there, and is a nice place to live we have so many people who live in north columbus area, and they have problems with crime but it is not put out like it does on the south of columbus, some of the crime comes from north columbus and come to the south side. I am not an ghetto person and it is as lot of people that are not. Yes we have great schools and teacher, that is if the child want to learn. yes we have to go to the north side because that is where they build, and we are the people from the south side to make it possible to keep the business going also, yes it is 2 columbus georgia. If they have the same thing that they have up in North columbus for south columbus, with (shopping, movie theaters and restauraunts). and it will be A NICE PLACE., and I still live on the south side because it is close to Ft Benning where I work. I have 3 kids and they have finish high, and 2 in college and it has come from the schools here in south Columbus. Safe as anyplace..
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
Maple ridge, green island, and Wellington pointe are good residential areas. If you are looking for apartment complexes maple ridge 2 and greystone and down town river front apartments
Hi, You can go to http://www.homefair.com and http://www.spotcrime.com for great in-depth reports on any area. Homefair.com has a great side by side comparison feature, just type in the zip codes you want to compare.

Chris
Teresa,

We as Realtors must be very careful with this type of question. If you will visit my web site at http://www.robinsellscolumbus.com you will be able to find answers to all of your questions. Thank you
Beaver Run is a great, established, safe neighborhood. It is very pleasant, with a pool, lake, tennis, active community. It is at the edge of midland, right north columbus.
I grew up in Columbus, GA and my family still lives there. I can tell you that a nice, safe area is Green Island Hills. Also, I would recommend Maple Ridge as well. I would recommend sticking to the North Columbus area.
As a real estate professional I live by the laws of the real estate commission and therefore I am unable to list areas that are the best for legal reasons not because I do not want to be helpful. I will also say that if you asked 100 people that question you would get 100 different answers. One thing I would suggest is that you ask for information on the percentage of appreciation in an area that you are interested in, this will be very valuable to you later because you want to be in an area that historyically has good resale value. Most of the time this will be in one of the most popular areas as far as schools, shopping and transportation.
Your real estate agent should be able to provide you with this information.
if you are a trailer t type person Alabama is a great place with out the ghettos
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 17, 2009
Midland is a lovely area. Both moderate priced quality homes and on the high end. Close to everything, great school district.
Real estate agents cannot direct people to or from a particular area. Mostly people's budget determines where they will buy a home. Always ride through the area at various times during the day & night to see what is going on in the neighborhood you are considering. Ask your friends what they consider to be a good area.

Our area offers a lot of choices between Columbus, Phenix City and surrounding areas. Choose wisely and do choose to have a real estate agent help you find a home.
Real Estate professionals will not be able to answer these questions. It's a liability issue, big time... plus consumers and their agents may not agree on what is "safe and pleasant". It's best to educate yourself and then make your own determination.

I suggest you google "crime reports" talk to neighbors and the local police, and scour the neighborhood - look at the people, do they look like people you'd like to live near? Are their homes presentable from the outside, what about their cars? This will give you a great deal of insight. You agent may also be able to give you resources so you can look at factual stats and other people's opinions to educate yourself. But, please remember, it is YOUR decision.

Regards -
Vicky