Bernice, Real Estate Pro in Philadelphia, PA

What is the law in Philadelphia or PA concerning the responsibility of exterminating bedbugs?

Asked by Bernice, Philadelphia, PA Thu Jul 15, 2010

Just recently I was told by one of my tenants that he has bedbugs, now there have been none since last summer. I have three guys that share the house, and none now where they came from. One is a street musician (plays subway and above ground, the other is a security guard, and the other works as a cashier, so I can't pinpoint where they could have been brought in from. So the question is who is responsible for exterminating them?

Answers

4
Larry Lichtman’s answer
Hi Bernice,

Are all three tenants named as Tenants on the lease? If so then they would all be equally and individually responsible for exterminating provided you made tenants responsible for that in the lease.

If you are renting the rooms to three individuals, on 3 different leases or verbal agreements then your best bet would be to pay for it yourself. You don't want problems with your tenants in that situation as it is not in compliance with housing codes and laws to have multiple leases for a single family zoned dwelling.

If you would like some professional assistance, please feel free to call me anytime. Have a great week.

Larry Lichtman
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
CELL (267) 254-7994
LarrySellsRealEstate@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 15, 2010
You need to review the executed lease agreement which governs the "pest problem" most leases address this concern.

IF the tenants choice to reside in improper manner not clean, food laying around, and etc. could be tenants responsibility to pay.

NOTE: I have been a property owner with tenants who always complained of bugs till I did an Impromptu visit of the home determined that cause how they lived.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 15, 2010
Update: I just recently received an email from one of the roommates at the house, and he says that the source is who we all suspected, now I've been emailing this guy and asking him when did he first see the bedbugs, to date no response, but he will email me and let me know when the rent will be ready. One of the roommates saw his mattress and said and I quote "it was not a pretty sight, and he had to have had them for some time", this makes me very angry, because now I'll have to get an exterminator to take care of this problem, and because he didn't even have the decency to let me know there was a problem, it is probably worst than it needed to be. I'm told he's using roach spray to take care of the situation. I'd like to see this guy gone, and he can be to clean, not only that but there's no furniture in the house except what they brought with them, and they've been there going on a year, so this is recent. He's on a month to month lease, would I have to go to court to get rid of him?
There will usually be a line in the lease that states whether the landlord or tenant is responsible for pest control. This would include bedbugs unless you have a strong case that the tenants brought the bedbugs upon themselves by their own actions or negligence. If they just picked them up accidentally at a hotel I would think the landlord would still be on the hook if the lease says the landlord is responsible for pest control. Best of luck, I know those buggers can be a real mess.

James Yoakum - Realtor, SFR
Brown McKinney Real Estate
1631 W. Cabot St.
Philadelphia, PA 19121
office: 215-825-2250 x.1002
cell: 267-496-7739
fax: 610-910-3046
jyoakum@brownmckinney.com