Quality of Life in Augusta>Question Details

Lpb, Both Buyer and Seller in Atlanta, GA

What is the best school zone in Richmond county that is not a magnet school?

Asked by Lpb, Atlanta, GA Wed Apr 16, 2008

We are interested in buying a house that is located in an interesting, walkable neighborhood. The school zone needs to be good. Everything I read says Richmond county schools, aside from the magnet schools, are horrible. We can't bear the thought of living in a subdivision in Columbia Co. where the schools are better. Crime and personal safety are important as well. Any advice?

Answers

10
You may find the following websites useful in your search for a good school zone http://www.psk12.com/rating/index.php and http://www.greatschools.net/. You mentioned that you have done some reading already. If you haven't yet, be sure to check to see if the county that you have an interest in has a school website...typically that is the best resource for the most comprehensive schools statistics, including test scores.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 16, 2008
Very interested in where you decided to buy a home, and what you thought about the schools. We have lived in Richmond County for years and like being close to I-20, Bobby Jones etc.
Both my sons went to Richmond county schools. One graduated from MCG and is head of medical records in a medical center in Houston (making twice the salary I do at age 34) and the other is a Navy Veteran. Both are highly successful young men. Personally, I wouldn't live in Evans if you paid me to do so.
That's your business. I went to a Richmond county school as well and am also a bright U.S. Navy Veteran. Your point is what....
Flag Fri Mar 28, 2014
I honestly wouldn't want to put my kids in school in Richmond county unless it was a magnet school. I'm not an agent or salesman just a local resident sharing my honest opinion.
LPB, what did you discover and decide on? Our family is now looking for the same - moving from a VERY walkable neighborhood in Atlanta and will be making school choices in about a year. Subdivisions make my skin crawl as well as new homes with no established yards. I have a feeling we will be having to make sacrifices in the move.
thanks.
Hello LPB...there are a few "walkable" neighborhoods that come to mind when thinking about convenience. These maybe "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods, although, they will work for you. Let's start by establishing a price range with beds/baths required for your family. Contact me with any questions...Brock@BrockHughes.com
Thank you
Brock
Thanks for the responses.
By "walkable", I meant that shops, parks, greenspace,and other things were within walking distance. We share a car right now and just walk to neighborhood amenities. I didn't know if there was anywhere in Augusta like that that was also a safe neighborhood with good schools.
I have lived in Richmond Co. for the last 22 years. We live in the West Augusta Area. My children attended Warren Rd. Elem, Tutt Middle and Davidson Fine Arts. We currently live in Montclair but originnally lived in Foxhall both are very walkable and great family freindly places.
I've lived in Richmond County for the past 25+ years. My sons have gone to A Brian Merry, Langford, Westside and Richmond Academy as well as the oldest one attending AR Johnson.

One is in the miltary, the other at the Medical College of Georgia now.

I live in Country Club Hills a very walkable subdivision.
I think it's fantastic that you're looking for a home in Richmond County. Augusta has some really neat historic districts with some very interesting homes. Sandy Shores provided some great sites were you can get some great data on any particular school I think you might find the Richmond County School System website usefull as well.

http://www.rcboe.org/home.aspx