Quality of Life in Winthrop>Question Details

Sarahs, Home Buyer in Winthrop, MA

What is the best area north of Boston for a young, first-time buyer couple?

Asked by Sarahs, Winthrop, MA Mon Jul 20, 2009

We are a young couple (both public school teachers), first-time buyers, looking for a house with plenty of room to grow and a sizable yard for our dog... our budget is around $230,00 to $280,000. We've looked online at Saugus, Lynnfield, Peabody, Beverly, Danvers, etc, but are unfamiliar with the best neighborhoods. We love Topsfield and Georgetown area, but it seems too pricey. Would love ANY advice on the best areas... considering re-sale value, school districts, crime, etc. Thanks!

Answers

3
Hi Sarah- Realtors can help you with many things, but it is a little dicey for them to tell you/ recommend to you what a "good" area of town is, etc. That gets into a lot of ramifications with Regulations, and Equal and Fair Housing stuff, etc.
I'm from that neck of the woods, and I also write mortgages in that area. Some basic thoughts (in general) are:
Lynnfield might be too pricey for what you would get.
Amesbury would be nice- but could be too far for you from the City or your work, etc.
Beverly is almost like 2 separate towns- or 3 separate towns. You'll find some cheap deals there, but they could be in areas that you wouldn't want to be in maybe. Don't assume just because its in Beverly.
Danvers and Peabody could be good options. I think the public schools in Peabody are a little better than in Danvers- but that is just the reputation I've heard.

Hope that helps a little. If I can be of any other help, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
Do yourslef a favor and get pre-approved first if you havent already! Remember the rates are low and the market is full so its a great time to buy, but remember that this doesnt have to be your dreamhouse, you can build equity by buying a condo or twonhouse, or if you are handy you get get a fixer-upper, just be careful and make sure your agent asks lots of questions! Good Luck!
Hi Sarah,

You may want to look a little further North, This is a competive price point in the market in your desired area seeing this is where most first time home buyers fall. Newbury, Amesbury, Groveland, Rowley to name a few other towns. If you need a REALTOR to help you navigate through the first time home buying process call or e-mail me, The $8000.00 tax credit is only valid until Nov 30th and it take the average home buyer 6 weeks to find a home a 1 to 1 1/2 months to close the transaction. I'm located on the North Shore, I cna help you avoid looking online, I can sent you up to date listings in your desired towns within your price range to give you a realistic view of the market in your towns
Hear my first time home buyer radio ad on WBZ this Saturday.

Kelli Cassidy
RE/MAX Country Crossroads
978-979-2823
kellicassidy@remax.net