Quality of Life in Chappaqua>Question Details

Romina, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What is it REALLY like to live in Chappaqua? We have 2 young children (under 3) and want to raise them in a

Asked by Romina, New York, NY Sat Jan 26, 2008

healthy environment... how do we know if this is a good fit?

Answers

8
I looked at three communities when I moved. Chappaqua, Armonk and Pleasantville. I chose Pleasantville because there were less than 600 children in each of the schools, the town is very small, it has excellent train service, restaurants, salons, and everything my children needed including a town pool. It is so small, in fact, there is no bussing of school children. The whole town walks, or drops their children off in front of the school with teachers/administrators watching. I have loved it for 11 years and my sons, now grown, are happy we picked Pleasantville. Don't misunderstand me, Chappaqua is lovely. I just found it congested and less walker-friendly as far as towns go.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 18, 2009
Well the best way for you to decide if Chappaqua is a good fit would be to spend time here. I recommend walking around the town, go in the shops and ask questions. Chappaqua is a friendly place so you should have no problem getting answers to your questions from members of the community. For your children, I would also recommend visiting the schools and checking out the school district's website. Spending time in Chappaqua or any town for that matter that is of interest to you is, in my opinion, the only way to really see what it's like to live in the town.

John DeNardis
Licensed Salesperson
Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate
Chappaqua Brokerage
45 South Greeley Ave.
Chappaqua, NY 10514

Mobile: 914.557.4226
http://www.HomeChappaqua.com
Hi: Chappaqua is a great town, very desirable. Lot's of people want to live there & according to Westchester Magazine, the schools are highly rated. Taxes are a little bit towards the high side. There are a lot of larger busier streets in Chappaqua, both north/south & east/west direction. Off these streets are numerous little neighborhoods with lots of cul-de-sacs. Each little neighborhood has its' own personality & style. The downtown area is really cute & there is a train station which a lot of people like. And Starbucks. Healthy town. Call me if you have other questions. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty, 914-273-9688. http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com.
Hi Romina,
I love that you received feedback from local residents - that's a great resource. I also have sold homes in Chappaqua to several families with children the same ages as yours. They would be very receptive to sharing their transition experience with you.
My areas of expertise include Chappaqua, Armonk & Pleasantville. If you would like more information and an area tour, that would be a great start.
Feel free to call 914-772-3526 or email me.
amy.singer@raveis.com
We moved to New Castle (Chappaqua + Millwood) in 1985, before we even had our child. At 28, being first time home buyers, we thought that buying in a reputable school district would be a better investment. We were not disappointed. Our daughter has grown up in the Chappaqua school system and has absolutely thrived. She made life-long friends starting with the Mommy & me classes at the Community Center, the toddler sessions at the Library and Art Center and the wonderful nursery school.

In each of the schools (Westorchard, Bell (before Seven Bridges was built) and Greeley H.S., she had good and dedicated teachers and administrators guiding her way. She was involved in two varsity sports and church events and volunteer groups. Our daughter turned out a well-rounded young adult who just graduated from a leading university and will be joining a top Strategy Management Consulting firm.

I related this story not to brag, but to illustrate what it is possible to achieve in this nurturing environment. The opportunities are there - what the individual does with them is up to him/her. It wasn't always easy, as we are a two-career couple. The commute is long, although by NYC standards it is very comfortable. It's worth it for that moment when you get off the train and breathe in the clean crisp air of Chappaqua. The water is triple filtered. Taxes are surprisingly not higher than in neighboring communities with less clean water and less reputable schools. Most importantly, the family values of security, respect, inclusion and having fun are still alive and well in Chappaqua!
Chappaqua has a small town feeling and a feeling of privacy is easily maintained in this residential community. There are many families in Chappaqua, attracted by its award winning schools. On weekends the parks and fields are active with playground activites and soccer games. The town offers programs for adults and children in sports, art and cooking... the library is active with toddler story time and an friendly childrens department. One of the favorite October family events in town is the Ragamuffin Parade where the streets are closed for a children's Halloween parade. Chappaqua has alot of natural beauty with rolling hills, rock outcroppings and wooded areas. There is a comfortable Manhattan commute and the combination of sophistication and country flavor make it one of Westchester's most popular communities. COME UP FOR A VISIT. I would be happy to show you around!
My recommendation is to call my partner in Chappaqua, Nancy Zucker at 914-329-2895 or nzucker@houlihanlawrence.com and make an introductory appointment to tour the community, the various neighborhoods, parks/playgrounds, etc. as well as see some homes in your price range. Her years of experience living and selling Northern Westchester will be invaluable to your perspective. You may wish to do the same in a few other towns you may consider to compare. My Larchmont/Mamaroneck Clients all find the 2 hour introductory tour so important to the process. If you wish to consider my area feel free to call or email to set that up too!
Perhaps less than you'd hoped, BUT: my sister has a best friend in that area. If you're looking for the skinny, let me know. As a real estate agent on the North fork of Long Island, offering the area as my specialty would be absurd; offering the input of a resident might assist..
Web Reference: http://optionsrealty.com