Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What effect will the new 220 sq. ft. apartments have on the San Francisco real estate market?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 7, 2013

The Board of Supervisors approved legislation that would allow a few hundred of these small units to be constructed and rented out. These are intended to be cheaper options for residents, given that prices for current studios are very high.

Answers

3
Alison — for the immediate future the little housing units will have little impact. Demand is strong in all regions of the city at every price point. That said, when (or if) the smaller footprint homes get completed they should be inherently more value priced aimed at folks in that price point now (say,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, that's the word on the street! Thanks for your expert opinion :)
Flag Thu Feb 7, 2013
Alison,

Your question can be answered in many different ways so let me add what feelings/thoughts come to mind for me personally.

First, more housing in a city with a severe lack of it seems like a good thing. Second, regardless of their size, micro apartments similar to the ones that Patrick Kennedy is wrapping up at 38 Harriet Street (http://www.smartspace.net/locations/soma) are a great use of space and provide the dweller with all that is needed. Many of these folks are not in their apartments often which is meant to encourage people to get outdoors and commingle with others. Let's face the facts, we're spoiled with the amount of space we think we need.

I had a listing in the building next door at 54 Harriet and saw the entire construction process (38 Harriet). It was quite amazing to watch. They use some of the best technologies available for clean construction and sustainability like solar water heating, rainwater collection, and prefab construction. I don't know if the buildings you're referring to will utilize the same method but they should be.

I see nothing but positive results coming from projects such as this. Again, I don't know the details but the idea, in my opinion, is a good one.
Going in the rent is expected to be equal to other studio units. Understand that the limitations are for "market" rentals. As of now there is so much demand that the only place there will be relief is in the older, not so hot, studio segment.
There’s no restriction on the number of student or affordable units of that size. The fear that tenant advocates evoked was "techies" renting these units and commuting out of the City. But the employed tech workers are the new bogeymen to the "progressives". They are too good to take public transport and have to have their own bus fleets. They are forcing out god know who and are gentrifying the Mission etc.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA