Quality of Life in New York>Question Details

Jon Mahler, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

What career choices does a new graduate in the real estate field have that is not realty?

Asked by Jon Mahler, San Francisco, CA Tue Oct 16, 2007

I am interested in developement work mainly. Can anyone suggest real estate firms in NYC that are good to work for?

Answers

6
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
This is very dated thread...one in which Jonathan has hopefully found his way.

With this said, many people graduate from college and never persue their intended career choice, finding themselves doing something completely unrelated. To some, education is the beginning step of an uncharted journey that unfolds randomly. Enjoy the ride....

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
I would suggest working for an attorney who does development work. The office will likely deal with a lot of developers and from that you will learn which ones are more suited to you. You may also consider working for acity or state regulatory agency-. Since developers are required to deal with the agencies, they are more likely to hire someone who has experience there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
I hate to say it but graduating real estate school in and of itself isn't a hugely significant accomplishment. I've been working full time in the real estate industry for 25 years in many parts of the country and honestly regardless of where I'm working fully 60% of those issued licenses should never have received them. The bar for entry into the industry is rather low and intentionally kept that way by States as they tend to feel that real estate is always an option for people who got laid off from another profession. Of course I think this is a ridiculous plan and wish the bar were set higher but it is what it is.

When you say your interested in development work what are you thinking off? As a new graduate do you have any other real world experience that would segue well with this?

What about working with an attorney or abstract company doing title research?

Your question is a little vague and without more details it's going to be difficult to get a detailed answer.

Best of luck to you.
Work for a title company....
I am interested in acquisitions. Does anyone know what firms in nyc have training programs for new graduate?
In project management, analysis, acquisitions?
Commerical - residential?
There is a lot of different options, but you need to be more specific. Some sectors have tightened up, even had layoffs. I just received a phone call from someone who was laid off from a major builder/developer after 8 years of service and thinking of selling real estate with their license. Previously, they were not involved with sales.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ