Judy Ivey, Real Estate Pro in Nashville, TN

What can you do when your condo association won't repair anything and won't respond?

Asked by Judy Ivey, Nashville, TN Sun Jan 20, 2008

If a condominium association refuses to let owners see real figures, what can you do

Help the community by answering this question:


This can be a difficult and frustrating situation. The first thing you need to do is to thoroughly read the master deed and by-laws for your association to understand precisely what the responsibilities of the association will be in your situation. These documents will provide details regarding board meetings, accounting, and reporting of financial data to association members. They will also provide you with the means by which grievances are addressed through the association.

Often times we see association boards that either usurp powers or neglect responsibilities. In this case you will have to take an active role in producing a change. You may need to gain the support of other members of the community and petition the board to meet to address your situation. The by-laws will provide you with information on quorums and proxy votes for any such meeting.

Unfortunately, if you are still unable to get a response from your board you may need to procure the services of an attorney. I do not recommend this as it is usually not necessary if you do enough follow-up work to get some positive traction with your situation.

If you do not have a copy of your master deed and by-laws, you can get one from the assessors office. There will be a nominal charge for producing the copies. You can order these documents online at condocerts.com. If you have a friend in the title business, they can simply pull the information from the courthouse retrieval system in your county.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 20, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer