Quality of Life in 98102>Question Details

Samir Lakhani, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

What can i do about the super-noisey trucks that pick-up garbage at the retail site beside my condo? They

Asked by Samir Lakhani, Seattle, WA Fri Feb 29, 2008

typically come at 6am on weekdays and are ridiculously loud. Are there municipal laws on sound that apply to this type of activity?

Answers

5
Hey there Samir, ... noise ordinances usually dictate 7am as when trucks can operate. I'm not sure if that applies to garbage trucks though I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Have your condo association file a noise complaint. Or... call the police, tell them it's a non-emergency and you'd like to file a noise complaint. If it's an issue for you, i'm sure it's an issue for other residents in your building...I'd definitely try to get the condo association to take it up. They represent a bigger voice, ..but if you can't get them to do it, ..then you can always file the complaints.

-james
There is usually a service available that keeps the big truck out and sends a quieter smaller vehicle in to get the can and bring it to the big truck. I forget what that is called, but could be an option. Clearly not a total remedy, but not quite as noisy.

There is a cost for that service and many HOAs use it for their own trash pickup. Call the trash company and check out the options and cost yourself, and then pick a remedy that suits you and outline it on a request to both your HOA Board and the retail establishment.

If you handle it as a suggestion or request vs. a complaint, they will likely accommodate your solution, if you give the solution vs. the problem. Regarding moving the dumpsters, if you see an option for that, draw a map to where they could go and submit that solution as well.

Complaints are often ignored. But if you offer the solution, you may be successful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2008
This is a great question, and it brings up something that I see a lot of. If you decide to buy a condo near a store or nightclub, then be aware of noise and traffic that comes with that location. I'm always amazed that people buy a condo next door to a tavern or club and then constantly complain about the noise. Do your homework before you buy!!! You should make a neighborhood review a standard part of your inspection process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2008
Hi Samir;
Unfortunately if the trucks came later then they would be on the road with commuters during morning rush hour. I think that it is just the price that we pay to live in an urban area.

I would reccomend that your condo association talk with the retail space to see if they can move the garbage dumpsters to another part of their site. You can bring this up at your next homeowners association meeting.
Kris
Hi Samir,

Most likely since they are picking up at a retail store, the store is zoned commercial of some type which would allow trucks to come and go. If it were me, I would check with the City Code Enforcement Office and see if there was a restriction for time of day or noise at that exact location. Otherwise, you may ask to talk to the manager of the store and see if they can get the trucks rescheduled. Probably not great solutions, but hopefully they are the most helpful.

Good Luck,