Emily Erekuff, Home Owner in Menifee, CA

What area of San Francisco has the best weather?

Asked by Emily Erekuff, Menifee, CA Wed Jul 25, 2007

I currently live in Sunset but I'm really tired of the fog. Where is the best place for sun in the city?

Answers

12
Hi Emily - I grew up in the Sunset on 31st and Moraga. I didn't know there was sun in the summer time until I was old enough to drive. So I feel you on the desire for sunshine. Currently I live in Cole Valley. It's not the sunniest area. But it is better than the Sunset. Geographically it is in a central area of San Francisco. We see the fog roll in from the beach and we see the clearing of downtown.

In an effort to help my Clients get a sense of the fog, I've divide the city into 4 zones. The most western being the foggiest and the most eastern being the least. The Southeast region of the city will probably see the most sunshine (potrero, bernal, mission. dog patch). I'd be happy to email you the illustration if it would help you visualize it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2007
Hayes Valley and SOMA are two others w/ great weather.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2007
live in Hayes Valley and its not that warm its foggy often COLD DAMP I AM FROM VENICE BEACH LOS ANGELES For 25 years here and I am still FREEZING!
Flag Tue Mar 8, 2016
i live in hayes valley and its not that sunny
i am from LA and am FREEZING!
Flag Tue Mar 8, 2016
The Bayview, followed by Hunter's Point has the best weather. The area is slowly improving, but still not for the faint of heart.
Russian Hill has the best weather in high-end neighborhoods in San Francisco (second only to Pacific Heights) with best view homes. I live in Russian Hill and we have close to 250 sunny days a year while neighborhoods west of Van Ness Street are foggy and cold.
The Bayview and Hunter's Point area has the best weather. Also, the most crime.
Hands down it is South Beach, Mission Bay and Potrero. I'm a native sfer that grew up in West Portal, and lived in Noe.
I've lived in the mission, Noe Valley but by far the sunniest neighborhood in San Francisco is Potrero Hill.
Just take a look at the live web cam for The Ramp.
It's always sunny at the ramp, so it's always sunny in potrero hill.
Emily, I lived in the City for 3 years, I finally got sick of the weather and moved south to San Mateo. - If you really want to be in the City itself, The mission district and Noe Valley had the tongue in cheek sobriquet of being the "Banana Belt" due to having better weather than the rest of San Fran. The Sunset being on the ocean is foggiest. If you move down the Peninsula, don't go to Daly City or Pacifica they are also foggy.
The fog tends to lighten up around San Bruno and Millbrae. If you really hate the fog, and just won the Mega-Millions lottery go all the way to Redwood City, San Mateo or Menlo Park.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 1, 2007
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
divisidero is the traditional break point for fog and has some historical significance for being named that way. how good do you want it? best weather in the city can be found in several places, potrero hill/dog patch, noe valley, south beach but what else do you want? the only usable beach is crissy field in the marina but you'll get hit or miss weather there. ocean beach is huge but you'll never see it as you know.
If you don't mind getting out of the city a bit, I like Foster City. Nice and neat neighborhoods without as much fog.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Mission District. Bernal Hts and Noe Valley get too windy and have fog fingers reaching down sometimes. Chinatown is another warm place but there is no availability there.
Emily,
Best weather in SF, in my opinion is in the Mission District. The Mission sits almost dead center of the city, therefore the furthest from the ocean and the bay, where the fog coasts in. There are many days, one can see surrounding fog and still have sun directly above. I live in the Mission and grow tomatoes, peppers, onions and citrus in my back yard.