Alia, Other/Just Looking in Glen Mills, PA

What are the consequence of breaking a lease?

Asked by Alia, Glen Mills, PA Fri Mar 21, 2008

My lease agreement says that I have to give 60 days notice and pay two months cancellation rent, but I cannot afford it. They told me that if I could find someone else to take over the remainder of the lease, I could get out and not pay anything. I have been looking for 3 months and I'm desperate and might just leave. What would be the consequences of that? I am in PA.

Thanks!

Answers

2
I have to agree with Brendan...not a recommended choice. People assume that their credit is safe from rentals. That may have been the case in the past, but with the Interenet, lanlords are more savvy than ever!
Depends on what the landlord does. Generally a landlord will wait until the damage ($ cost) is calculated, ie they get a new tenant, etc. Then they will send you a demand of payment or something similar. When you fail to pay that, they will sue you, get a judgement against you and it may include interest until you pay. You don't want a judgement against you....someday you'll have to pay it one way or another, meanwhile it will hurt your credit possibly. So keep this in mind, see what can be worked out with your landlord (payments?) etc., most landlords would rather work some kind of deal than sue you. This doesn't mean they'll take less money, but they might extend you time to pay it. I wouldn't run.

Brendan Murphy
Broker, CRS, GRI, ePro
Raving Real Estate
Laramie, WY 82070