Quality of Life in Atlanta>Question Details

Temps, Both Buyer and Seller in Atlanta, GA

What are the best family neighborhoods East or SE of Atlanta? I will be working in N Druid Hills, want to only drive about 35 min to work each day.

Asked by Temps, Atlanta, GA Fri Sep 23, 2011

Answers

14
First, with the help of a good mortgage broker, determine your price range. Then tell a good real estate agent what characteristics you'd like your new home to have. Those two parameters will narrow the field of potential areas. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We all think we live in the 'best neighborhood'. Once you have established your parameters, with the help of a good REALTOR, you will be able to discern which communities suit YOU.
The best "family" neighborhoods east and SE of Atlanta - hmmm...I agree with Hank's answer to some extent, and I see that some of the agents here have you all over the map...

I won't do that to you. I'll answer your question with a list of neighborhoods.

And to your comment about driving 35 minutes a day to the Druid Hills office park area - that's just too long to even consider, if your criteria is "family neighborhoods East or SE of Atlanta"...how about 25 minutes maximum, on a rough day?

Knowing that, here's my opinionated top ten, in no certain order, because what family means to you and what family means to someone else could be two entirely different, subjective ideas:

1. Winnona Park
2. Oakhurst
3. downtown Decatur (on everyone's "best of list" in many categories)
4. Druid Hills
5. Candler Park and Lake Claire
6. Sutherland Place in Lake Claire
7. Hawthorn Park in Kirkwood
8. Lenox Place
9. Oak Grove
10. Sagamore Hills

Most of what Hank sees in the FNMA foreclosure appraisal arena, in Eastern ATL and greater Decatur, are properties that are not in any of the neighborhoods that I listed.

Please call me if I can help your further - I specialize in the eastern neighborhoods of Intown Atlanta, Since 1998, I have lived in Inman Park, Kirkwood and now downtown Decatur, and my brokerage is the #1 selling brokerage office in all of FMLS area 52, which includes the Intown submarkets that are east and southeast of the city of Atlanta limits.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 27, 2011
There are plenty of great famiy neighborhoods within 35 min east of Atlanta. First and foremost you need to get preapproved with a quality lender so you can determine the price range you are comfortable with in regard to monthly payment and still being able to maintain your current lifestyle. Once you are there then you will be ready to get with a strong Realtor who can help you define the style of home you desire in a great location either in North Druid Hills or close by... If I can be of any help to you don't hesitate to call me at your earliest conveninece.

Chuck Green, Realtor
chuckgreen@kw.com
770-714-7077
678-578-2788
You can find some great neighborhoods in Peaceful Conyers, Snellville, Lawrenceville and many others cities.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 24, 2011
Buckhead is a fabulous neighborhood with great schools and tons of activities for your family to enjoy. Call me just to chat!
Roz McClure 678-410-1587
I live work and play in the Buckhead area with my husband, three kids and two dogs!!!!
So much depends on your lifestyle, age of your children, price point and what you like to do in your spare time. Atlanta is fortunate in having many enclaves of stable residential communities. If you were to twist my arm, I would start with Decatur and Tucker to insure a short commute.
Temps,

If you are looking for quality of life... how about a place where there are neighborhood events every month of the year and practically every other weekend? The community I live in is like living in a resort, every night it feels like you are on vacation. Bi-monthly resident events, yearly chili cook off, bi-annual outdoor jazz concert festivals, Halloween parade, Mardi Gras parade, yearly golf tournament, yearly marathon & duathlon, weekly trivia touranaments, monthly poker tournaments, bocce tournaments, yearly turkey fry, monthly outdoor movies, bi-annual community yard sale, onsite restaurant, tennis, pools, basketball, bocce, horseshoes, dog parks, community gym and miles of hiking trails that lead in to an adjacent state park. It's not on your target side of the city but the commute is amazing and living here has enriched my life. 20 minutes to downtown Atlanta, 20 minutes to airport, 30 minutes to Buckhead

Call for more info:
--
Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050 (CELL)
404-478-8512 (E-FAX)
tony@muffleyhomes.com
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com

Muffley & Associates
2010 Top 5 Selling Groups in Atlanta
Top 5% ABR 2004-2010
ABR, CRS, RCC, CBR, E-Pro, REO Certified
CDPE (Certifed Distressed/Foreclsoure Property Expert)
Certified Luxury Marketing Specialist, Who's Who in Luxury Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.muffleyhomes.com
I'm appraising a steady supply of homes in the E/SE area. There's a ton of vacant and REO inventory there, the decline has been ongoing for yuears and isn't likely to stop anytime soon. Depending on your budget, I'd look to avoid those areas.

If that's not possible, then you really need to focus on the data and look at the value trends and absorbption rates of submarkets that you're interested in. It all starts with financial stability of the area, what price you pay or "deal" you think you get is only as good as the area in general. You really need to be careful if that's going to be where you end up.

Hank
I sell real estate primarily in the neighborhoods surrounding Emory, Buckhead, and intown. There are fantastic neighborhoods and schools within just a few min of Druid Hills. For folks I have buying in your desired area, we usually focus on school districts. Some of the most desireable are: Fernbank, Morningside, Springdale Park, Mary Lin, and all City of Decatur schools. I know these areas extremely well. I am from Atlanta and live intown, went to Emory, and worked for Emory prior to real estate. Call me at 404-324-7973 or email at conniecousins@gmail.com
I would look at school ranking websites, to determine the best schools for your kids, then use your mortgage consultant input and house features to narrow the list. I'd be pleased to help you with that process.

Rick
what shift do you work? standard 9-5 or do you have something else? Because it can make a big difference in travel time in Atlanta. You could live so many places and be only 35 minutes away, from Druid Hills, but it will almost always depends on the time of day and how long it might take you to get somewhere.
There are some nice areas in SE of Atlanta, for instance Oakhurst is a good choice. Price range will determine areas, do you know your price range? I would recommend that you employ the help of a real estate professional to assist you . Good luck!
Why not move into Druid Hills? Great Schools. Reasonable prices.
Scott said it very well. You have access to Atlanta's finest schools and most desirable neighborhoods with the parameters you gave. Give me a call to arrange a time when we can schedule an interview where I will determine how I can provide the best way to meet your real estate goals.