Quality of Life in San Jose>Question Details

Julia, Both Buyer and Seller in 94123

What are the advantages and disadvantage of selling my condo in San Francisco and moving to San Jose?

Asked by Julia, 94123 Thu Jan 10, 2008

I don't like the commute on Cal Train, and I'm thinking I'd get more room in San Jose?

Answers

6
I would try to keep the condo in the city and rent it out. Rent in san jose for a year and see how you like it. If you like the San Jose area, then make the move. Why sell an asset if you don't even know if you'll like it. You also get the benefit of learning neighborhoods etc while you're renting down here.
Hi Julia, There are pros and cons to each, if you are looking at it just for the economics it does make sense. The San Francisco real estate market is stronger then in San Jose, so you would be selling into strength. In San Jose, prices have receded, and you will find that you can get alot more house for your money. Also, you will have a few extra hours a day to help with your "quality of life" issue.

The one large drawback of moving out of the City is its accessibility to almost anything, and most areas of the city have great restaurants and shops within walking distance.
Web Reference: http://www.boyenga.com
Commute is a big advantage! And you would have more square footage price-wise -- I also believe that San Jose is appreciating a bit higher at this point that San Francisco (although I need to update my stats -- you can check out Data Quick's website). The weather in San Jose area is warmer and sunnier than here in the City -- even if you are on the *sunny* side of town. Here in the City you can walk to a lot of amenities, shopping, restaurants, and shops -- down on the Peninsula and in San Jose you'll be driving everywhere, for the most part, for groceries and other shopping.

That said I think it would depend on your interests and the length of commute you are willing to have; there are several nearby towns that each have their own personality, and there's shopping at Santana Row right in San Jose.

Here's some resources online:
sanjose.org/
http://www.mercurynews.com/
http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Jose-California.html
Advantages are vast and disadvantages are all based upon what you consider to be a negative. No commute is a huge advantage first off. If you own your condo depending upon when you bought and how much equity you could possibly be in a moving up situation with a move down in price. Appreciation about the same depending upon what specific area you plan to buy.

Your best is to actually see the advantages and disadvantages of selling you house. Take these to different aspects and separate them. Just selling your house could have many consequences. You might find out that it may be a benefit to sell, while you may also find it to be a disadvantage to sell.

Downtown has tremendous opportunities to buy some new condominiums, and with inventory starting to rise on these high rise condos builders are willing to do whatever it takes to get you in one.
Where you live and where your home is has an incredible influence on your life style. City living is significantly different than living in San Jose. The city offers much richer cultural community, more events and a more active night life. San Jose will offer you a much calmer living accommodation, less noise, less traffic, and less congestion. Off course San Jose is a big spread out city and has multiple different neighborhoods with their own personalities and characteristics. These neighborhoods have a wide range of prices and comparing San Jose with San Francisco cannot be done unless you pick a specific area in San Jose and the same is also true for San Francisco.
Hope this helps!
HI Julia,

so I can assume you work in the San Jose area. I think it would be very advantageous to move to San Jose. San Francisco is still a very desirable area so selling you runit should no tbe to difficult, and depending on the area you want to move into, should have no problem finding a place to move into. may I ask have you decided an area or been thru an area that intersts yuo??
Web Reference: http://www.mikemoresco.com