Quality of Life in New York>Question Details

Erin Murphy, Other/Just Looking in New York

What are some neighborhoods to avoid walking in alone with a young child as it starts to get dark?

Asked by Erin Murphy, New York Thu Mar 28, 2013

Answers

6
Marsha Andrews’ answer
Erin, you can go to Acris at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/property/acris.shtml where you can find a lot of information. Also, call the council person's office for the areas you are considering and they can give you the crime statistics. That said, everyone has stories about different locations in the city. You have your own comfort level so I suggest you walk around yourself to see how you feel in several locations in the city. Nobody else can tell you better than yourself. Everyone else was correct in that we are mandated by law not to speak of demographics and qualities of locations and properties as we could lose our licenses in doing so.
Good luck and give a call if you'd like help finding an apartment.
917 371-8416
Marsha
Hey Erin,
As a parent I understand your concern about the safety of your child. My best advice for you would be to call the local police department for each potential location you're interested in, and find out about the crime rates for that specific area. It may be a bit tedious, but I know you definitely want to know as much as you can before finding the perfect home for yourself! Let me know if I can help you out in any other way.
Cell: (646) 691-6795
Email: mshafique@rapidnyc.com
there are no specific bad neighbourhood that i can think of,u just have to b carefull every where u go, and try not to have ur kids out too late anyway,especially if they are too young.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
We real estate professionals are not allowed to comment on which areas are good and which aren't. It would be best if you researched the area on your own by checking crime rates, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
Hi Erin. While I mostly agree with Anna below, I differ on the concept of steering. You're asking about neighborhoods to avoid while walking at dusk with your child, not what are some area to not consider when looking to purchase. However the basic point is the same.

As Licensed professionals, we are not allowed to comment on an area as good, better, best or how safe. That is discrimination and it is illegal. Anna does give great inforation in that you could always check crime stats. You could also go into neighborhoods at various times of the day and night to get a "feel" for them and your perceived level of safety. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
Research areas on your own, check with the local police department, etc.; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013