Quality of Life in Portland>Question Details

Billye Timbes, Home Buyer in Alabama

What are best, cheapest, close-in neighborhoods for older people?

Asked by Billye Timbes, Alabama Thu Aug 7, 2008

We are an older couple who want a neighborhoody neighborhood with room for a garden and close to libraries and shopping, bus service. We want to be able to do without a car most of the time. We want a place that feels like somewhere, not a housing development but a city community if that's possible. Do you have any suggestions?

Answers

5
Hi Tim,

You've gotten many good answers here about neighborhoods.....but I would just like to ad, that when you are working with a realtor, they have the ability to screen for 55+ neighborhoods. Most of the time, it is unlawful to steer or discriminate for any reason, however there is housing that at least ONE of the prospective residents is at least 55. If this applies to you, then dont forget that a realtor can screen for and provide you a list of available homes in these communities.

Gloria Matthews
Jensen White Real Estate
Vancouver WA (just across the Columbia River to the north of Portland)
Assuming your question is about the Portland area, I think that Sellwood is one of the most neighborhoody parts of Portland. Of course, I am biased since that is where I live myself. It has all of the things you describe with a cute library, shopping, parks, and is a very nice area to walk around. Homes in this neighborhood currently run around 300k to 350k though, which is certainly not the cheapest option.

Other areas that are quite a bit more affordable but quite a bit further from downtown Portland would be the towns of Hillsboro, OR, Gladstone, OR or Camas, WA. They also have the combination of being fairly quiet communities with good neighborhood vibes.

There are many more neighborhood descriptions on my website, and I'd be happy to help you if you are considering moving to Portland.

Milan Cole
Oregon First, Realtors
(503) 953-3416
Billy Tim, the first question I have to ask is what is cheap to you? Our average sales price in Portland is $345,000. There are small little communities close in where you can buy a nice 2 bedroom house about 900 sq ft for $200,000 and be close to town and walk to take the bus or light rail to places. You can buy a condo for $150,000 1,300 sq ft. So it is hard for me to direct you to different areas. We do have some great little shopping strips that have everything you will need. Let me know and I can direct you to some of these areas and the price range that you are going to be looking for and style of house if that is important like maybe a single level? 2 story older homes are more expensive in the lower price range. You will love the Portland area.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group Inc.
ABR,CRS,CLHMS
1-888-982-6789
My Grandparents live in Summerfield, which is a retirement community on a 9 hole golf course. The average price of homes in there is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$350 so relatively speaking that is pretty inexpensive compared to the average Portland sale price. Summerfield is in Tigard, which is a suburb of Portland, but it is still a quick ride to downtown, and very close (less than 5 minutes) to Bridgeport Shopping center, which is a large shopping/eating area and Washington Square Mall. Also, is is very close to downtown Tigard and HWY 99 which has everything on it that you could ever need. The main areas of Summerfield are also all on bus lines...it really is a very nice area, my Grandparents love it, nice size lots, certainly with room for gardens and lots of community activities. I would be happy to provide you more info if you would like...thanks!
I noticed that you are a home buyer in Alabama. Are you relocating to Portland, OR?? There are several neighborhoods in Portland that could work well for you if that is your need. Let me know if you are moving to Portland.

Jean Pritchard
John L Scott PTL
503-680-4449
1-888-968-7609