Quality of Life in Idyllwild>Question Details

debbiehamilt…, Other/Just Looking in Idyllwild, CA

We would love to retire in Idyllwild! We live in Murrieta so we visit a couple times a year ( love the Silver Pines Lodge and the Foley cabin).

Asked by debbiehamilton, Idyllwild, CA Tue Jan 29, 2013

We have another 10 yrs before retirement but it would be nice to live up there sooner (maybe in 5 yrs) but my husband would have to commute to Temecula each day to work. I don't know if driving up and down the mountain everyday would get old quickly for him. Do you know if there are many people who commute or am I being silly and does everyone commute down the hill? I would most likely have to work somewhere in idyllwild. Are jobs there hard to come by?

Answers

3
Suzanne Baker’s answer
I am a realtor in Mammoth Lakes but Idyllwild has always been a very important part of my life. That doesn't seem like much of a drive and certainly worth it to be where you really want to live. I drive more than 150 miles many days to cover the area where I work...it's so worth it!
Commuting of this type is NOT ideal for most. It will likely get very old very fast, especially when dealing with poor weather conditions in the winter months. I personally know a person who lives in Big Bear who decided he loved the mountain so much that he obtained a pilots license and bought a small used plane which he uses to make his commute to El Monte more bearable. He is much closer to retirement than your husband is. I would seriously reconsider the long and sometimes difficult commute during the winter months.
No, you aren't being silly! Actually I have a friend (very gifted contractor) who used to live up here and got married and now lives in Temecula and comumtes up here to work each day. It's not uncommon, but would think that it helps if the person likes to drive a lot. I have several good friends who commute off the hill each day to Hemet or the desert as well. The most important thing is obviously having a dependable four-season vehicle.
Jobs are a bit tough to come by, but it really depends on what you do and how flexible you are with job options.
This is a fabulous community and the people are what make it - although the beauty that surrounds us is pretty special as well.
Know that I'll be glad to help in any way that I can, whether it's working with you about finding property or just general questions.
Yes, you're right about Silver Pines - Chris is a sweat heart!

Dora
(951) 288-5604
dora@lovethehill.com
Thank you for your reply. I'm at your website very often looking at places (just dreaming for now). It's nice to know I can ask you questions and will also keep you in mind when it's time to buy. Sounds like a new car will be in our future!
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013