Quality of Life in 94117>Question Details

Fltosf, Renter in 94117

We rented in Los Altos 10 years ago. Now our son has left home, we want to move from FL & rent a 3BR 2BA. Which neigborhood is friendly, walkable?

Asked by Fltosf, 94117 Sun Dec 18, 2011

My wife is now partially disabled and cannot drive or use public transport much, so a friendly small neighborhood with numerous stores and coffee shops is a must. We are too isolated now (typical gated community near ocean, car is a must). I work in tech from home, flexible hours. We have friends in the Bay Area, but most own homes, we want to rent. Work-live space OK, major hospital nearby is a plus, park to walk nearby is a plus. Any suggestions for SF neighborhoods to search greatly appreciated.

Answers

8
Thank you everyone for your welcome and informative answers. We have scheduled our move for January next year, and we have zeroed in on the following zip codes, in addition to some of the areas mentioned below: 94117, 94112, 94121, 94118, 94115, 94122. Once again, our sincere thanks to this wonderful community, and we'll take this up again closer to the move.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 28, 2012
Hi there,

San Francisco has many great little neighborhoods you might want to checkout. However, having lived west of Twin Peaks for a great majority of my life I would suggest you checkout our West Portal neighborhood. It has plenty of small stores, is very walkable, easy access to our two major freeways, and a great deal of public transport options. We have sold and rented several homes here so if your interested please reach out to us and we will be glad to send you some more info.

Your neighborhood realtors,
Stella and Mike
Web Reference: http://stellaandmike.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Cole Valley, San Francisco, Can walk everywhere, 4 parks, Golden Gate, Buena Vista, Tank Hill, Neighborhood park on Carl, 2 hospitals UC Med, and St Mary's with in walking dist, plus St Francis a 5 min drive.
Here is a craigslist link to a rental if it works: bkfzh-3875694597@hous.craigslist.org
3 bedroom. summer rental (415)706-5582
You're most welcome. Let us know if there is anything more we can help you with now or when you get closer to your move date.
Web Reference: http://Stellaandmike.com
I would be happy to discuss your rental situation more in detail. I lived in the City for over 30 years and have some thoughts. Feel free to contact me anytime.
-Greg
I strongly second the recommendation on West Portal. It's a cute little neighborhood with an active commercial strip, short drive to golden gate park and an easy jump onto the freeway. Has a small movie theater as well. One of my favorite less talked about neighborhoods in SF.

I assume you want to avoid too many hills, which can be difficult, but here are a few other options:

- Glen Park (near Diamond) could be interesting. Cute small strip of stores/coffee shops. Adorable little neighborhood.
- Sunnyside/Miraloma are adjacent to Glen Park and might be more affordable for a rental. For either neighborhood, you want to look close to Monterey Ave (where it's flat) and closer to the Glen Park bart (so you can walk to the Glen Park commercial area). I live in Sunnyside and love it -- they recently redid the Sunnyside Conservatory, and they often host book readings, music, holiday activities, etc.
- Inner Sunset (near Irving) is worth exploring. Very active commercial strip on Irving and walk to Golden Gate Park. What it lacks versus the other areas I mentioned is a small neighborhood feel.
- Bernal Heights might be a bit hectic, but the St Mary's neighborhood adjacent to Bernal Heights could be perfect. Small neighborhood feel, but adjacent to some Mission eateries and Bernal Heights commercial strip.

All of these neighborhoods have cool little parks as well.

Hi there -

We lived in Noe Valley for a number of years, and think it fits most of your criteria. Pretty flat (especially by SF standards!), and with coffee shops sprinkled throughout, a brand new Whole Foods, restaurants, banks and boutique stores on 24th street (the main drag), it might be a great place to consider. It's also close to major freeways - it used to take me less than 5 minutes to get on 280 south. Overall, think it's a mostly quiet neighborhood with lots of families, but still lots to do. We loved living there.

Good luck with your move!

There are several neighborhoods in San Francisco that comes to mind and have top walkability scores. You mentioned that your wife is now partially disabled, question is would the hills in San Francisco be an issue or would you prefer a flatter area? I have lived in San Francisco most of my life and now live in Piedmont/Rockridge area across the bay so I know the areas very well. Let us know...