Hieru, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

We're looking to buy a house in Leimert Park, but how safe is the area? The crime map scares me, but I've read good things too, so I'm

Asked by Hieru, Los Angeles, CA Sun Aug 21, 2011

confused. Help!

Answers

11
Hello!

I am a Realtor and proud resident of Leimert Park. What an amazing neighbor hood!!! You are going to love it!

Crime maps are totally subjective in my opinion. If you really want to know what's happening, talk to Officer Sunny Sasajima. He is the senior lead officer in the Leimert Park area and has real life experience when it comes to this topic. He will break it all down for you---email him at: 37508@lapd.lacity.org and please tell him that I sent you!

Also visit http://www.LeimertParkBeat.com and check out my blog: http://livinginleimert.blogspot.com/

Warm regards!
HP
Well put, Dean!
Flag Fri Feb 21, 2014
I second that ! As a resident of over 10 years, I have enjoyed raising 2 kids here. It's an urban environment that is alive with long-time residents, history and culture bubbling to the surface. I think that if you leave your fears and preconceptions behind and use common sense in navigating your environment, you'll be fine and you will love it!
Flag Thu Feb 20, 2014
When it comes to any safety issues, for accurate and up to the minute information, contact the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firshand; if unfamiliar with the area, do visit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 27, 2011
Hi Hieru:

Crime happens everywhere...not just in Leimert Park. There are some really beautiful aspects to the area. I would contact the Senior Lead Officer at the LAPD Station for the area and also the Neighborhood Associations and Council to get more information.

The crime maps are crimes that have been reported and many of them have been solved through LAPD and community based policing...which includes block clubs.

Check out the link below and visit with the Senior Lead Officer that patrols the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
I am not familiar with the area but I always review people to Crimereports.com (link below). If you are seeing bad results that should play into your decision. It probably will with other buyers so keep that in mind for resale.
Web Reference: http://www.crimereports.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 21, 2011
I hope you bought your house while the area is still affordable. I owned a house there for 24 years on little 6th Avenue, one of the nicest streets in *old* Leimert Park. The houses are gorgeous, especially if they haven't been remuddled. The tile in my two bathrooms and kitchen was beautiful, including a Bachelder fireplace. My street had mostly single professional women with children, a college professor, a teacher, a couple of lawyers, some retirees, an LAUSD cop. The apartments in the area are nice as well, very spacious and gracious. My house was broken into once during the time I lived there. Security cameras aren't a bad idea, no matter what neighborhood you live in. The neighborhood is really well located, between USC and Culver City and is especially convenient now with the Expo line and by 2018 the line that will travel down Crenshaw to the airport. The neighborhood schools aren't the greatest except for sports, but I sent my kids to magnets. There's a wonderful music scene in LP Village with the World Stage and the Vision Theatre. A lot of the jazz clubs have closed, alas. There's even a Farmer's Market now (we used to have a food coop, The Jefferson Community Buyers Club). My kids love that they grew up in Leimert Park. Now I'm getting all nostalgic.
Uhhh, I'm not from Columbia SC. Never been there! When I sold my house in Leimert Park, I moved to Santa Monica.
Flag Wed Jul 23, 2014
Hi My Name is renee and i live in leimert park and it is safe to live in. I just wood like a house i"m in a duplex.
You will get better answers from residents, than from the police. I have lived in this area since 2002 (near Arlington/Exposition). I am a huge advocate for the area, I love it. The new expo line is wonderful, prices are affordable, and the people are real. I had neighbors who moved to another area, and they really miss the neighborly-ness we have here. If you are passionate about historical homes, this is a wonderful area. There are things I wish were better, but they are improving. Many of the gorgeous homes have been stuccaloed, for example. We just got HPOZ designation, so that will stop the stuccalo madness. Parking on my street stinks. High density per house and they all seem to have cars. Leimert has more driveways, and is nicer so probably not an issue.
Your post is from Aug 2011, so what did you end up doing?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
PS: It's very up and coming! Heather below gave you an e-mail for Senior Lead Officer Sunny Sasajima. Contact him...he will give you answers!

Kat Becker, Agent
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
Hieru,

I concur with my colleague Doug, Leimert Park has its nice areas and the sections he mentioned are very nice and crime is a concern everywhere in a big city like LA. Many areas of LA has nice 'pockets' with pride of ownership. I would recommend you contact the Senior Lead Officer of LAPD for that area; a Senior Lead Officer (SLO) is an officer who has a higher visibility with the neighborhood works directly with the community and typically is involved with the local Neighborhood Council and the citizens. You may want to contact Councilman Bernard Park's office to find out who the SLO is for Leimert Park.

I also recommend drive the area different times of the day, weekends and when you are looking at a home and see neighbors, talk to them; they will share their views with you since they are not selling you anything.

I have recently been showing my client homes in the area and he is now comfortable asking neighbors their opinions, in the beginning I would ask the neighbors for him, to start the dialogue.

Best of success to you,

Lori Donahoo
REMAX Westside Properties 310-614-8024
Leimert Park has nice spots even though there's crime like any other neighborhood. For example, if you drive by in this square between CRENSHAW, ARLINGTON, KING Bl., and EXPOSITION BL, you'll find many well taken care single family residences without front fences and graffiti. This is a sign that residents care about their area. Also, you can check the police department on King Bl and Denker. If you need some listings availability, call or email me.

Doug Perez
(323) 285-8864
You can't really contradict the map. However, the next question is about you. What is your comfort level? Is the criminal activity against property or person? Maybe a car break-in brecause someone left their laptop visible in the car? FYI, even the best neighborhoods have criminal activity. One key is to not invite it--use your locks and be alert. Security is a bit more critical when buying vs. renting since it will affect your resale value. Check with your potential neighbors.