Quality of Life in Midtown>Question Details

Aishacs18, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

We're looking at buying a house and were wondering if Midtown is a family friendly area? Why are prices lower than Morningside?

Asked by Aishacs18, Atlanta, GA Sun Feb 26, 2012

Answers

10
Jeri Hall’s answer
I'm not an agent or even in RE but I do own a home here in Midtown/VA HI and can tell you that it is UBER family friendly! We have tons of kids on our block and have had a better experience here than other neighborhoods. In fact, my taxes are outrageous and we stay because of the community and bonds we have with the neighbors. That said, I think the prices are lower because it's not Morningside, which commands a certain aire about it. I think the fact that Midtown sprawls into a very commercial, new condo type area makes it seem less neighborhood friendly but that's far from the case.
Good luck and hope you decide to move this way or did. It's a great place to live and work.
Hello Aishacs18!

You have gotten a lot of good feedback. All of us who live and/or work inside the perimeter wouldn't have it any other way. That said, every family has its own needs. A good agent who knows the city should be able to help you find the perfect home. The advantage of hiring a buyers' agent is that she represents you and you only, and will work with your best interest at heart.

You asked about Midtown, but have you considered Decatur? I would say that Decatur is one of the most family-friendly places in town. The school system is great, and you have the feel of a smaller town within the big city...but a very very cool small town!

I do encourage you to read about the current redistricting plans for Atlanta Public Schools. There is a lot of uncertainty in APS schools right now, and Morningside imay be one of the affected schools.

Whatever area you choose, you will love living "intown." Let me know if I can help.

Sherrie Crow
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
Cell 404-790-8184
SherrieCrow@kw.com
Welcome to Atlanta! Sherrie Crow makes a good point about school redistricting in Atlanta, however I believe the midtown and Morningside schools will see little change. That said, Decatur has some of the best schools in metro Atlanta.

As to Morningside vs midtown, you will find excellent schools, and home that are a decade or two newer and predominately owner occupied in Morningside. Homes there range from modest 3/2's with bedrooms tucked into every possible space, to completely tricked out beauties where no opportunity for improvement has been overlooked. Midtown is predominately single family homes, but has a generous mix of rented homes, small apartment buildings and newer mid and high-rise condominiums.

As to family friendliness, both have much to offer so I will leave that to your judgement. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
I forgot to mention that I found over 100 homes on the market in Morningside Elementary School district with prices ranging from the mid-200s (needing work) to over $2.0 million. Quite a range!

Let me know if I can help.

Jonathan Huff
http://www.homesforatlanta.com
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
m 404-492-7804 .:. f 678-815-0955 .:. jon@hfatl.com
Hi Aishacs18,

First off, I think Midtown is a very desirable area. It's difficult to say whether or not it would be "family friendly" for you. Families can have wildly different ideas for where they would live - some would live in a high rise and be very comfortable, yet others need large flat backyards (both of which are available in Midtown).

As for prices, the school district isn't the reason for price differences between Midtown and Morningside, as Morningside Elementary (which is highly desirable) serves both Midtown and Morningside (in addition to other nearby neighborhoods). I think prices differ more so based on the mix of real estate in the respective areas. Midtown tends to have smaller homes and yards, and other types of properties mixed in (duplexes, small apartment buildings, etc.). Morningside (and Ansley, Va Highlands, etc.) tends to have larger homes and yards with fewer duplexes and/or apartments. So, I think buyers are typically willing to pay more to live in Morningside.

I think great "family" homes can be found in both neighborhoods - and don't forget Virginia Highlands, Piedmont Heights, Sherwood Forest and Ansley!

If there are any specific questions you have I would be happy to answer.

Jonathan Huff
http://www.homesforatlanta.com
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
There is more of a preference for the Morningside school district, which can equate to a higher value of the surrounding properties, but there are multiple Midtown areas that are extremely desirable as well. Your particular preferences will ultimately determine which would be an ideal location for you and your family.
Both areas are desirable and surround Piedmont Park. The proximity to Piedmont Park, schools has an impact on the price of a home in these areas.

You may find that one area is better for you when you drive around.

Feel free to contact me for any information on these areas.

There are some more sought after and desirable areas than others in this area. where did you want to be idealy?
If park access for your family is important, parts of Midtown are extremely close to Piedmont Park, which has playgrounds, a great new pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, running tracks, dancing fountains, a dog walk subdivision, and more!! Feel free to visit our website to setup a tour of midtown homes.
The thought is that the Morningside School District is preferred by many, so that increases the value of the homes.