Jennifer Fre…, Other/Just Looking in Lawton, MI

We are thinking of relocating to Cape Coral from Michigan. We have a large family and Jobs are running out

Asked by Jennifer French, Lawton, MI Sun Aug 17, 2008

here. we have many expenses. Do you think it's a good move??

Answers

7
Jay LaGace’s answer
Wow, Lawton Michigan... I know the area very well, did alot of fishing in your neck of the woods several years back.

It truly is a great time to buy here. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jay LaGace
Century 21 Birchwood Realty Inc.
239-443-8795
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 17, 2008
Hi Jennifer,
Our economy is down now, and some jobs are hard to come by. It is a great time to buy a home, but I would look into finding jobs before you make the decision.
Have a great day,
Nancy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 17, 2008
yes we have already been looking at rental property. We plan to combine our income and temporarily saty together. We own our hosue here in Michigan and plan to try and maintain it as my mother will stay here. It is our plan to see how the first 2 years go (upon finding a job)We have been sending resume after resume out to many online job banks. We have relatives who live there too. We have already investigated the move and it's cost. We are not planning to bring everything and have priced U-hauls already. It will probably be a bit before it happens / if it happens. Both of our husbands are loosing there jobs as the factory is closing very soon. We have placed resumes (over 200) in jobs here in michigan over the last 3 months. We have gotten no contacts. We are afraid of losing our home. Just looking other places for maybe better luck. Thanks for all your help everyone. The advice is great !
Jennifer,
It would still be best to check the online career web-sites. Have your family start sending out resumes. But be sure your family members responsible to support the home, secure jobs that offer enough money to do so before you head on down here.
Please also consider that you will probably have to rent for a few months while you are here. Go online to apartments.com to see what is available in this area if you are interested in communities with amenities.. Also look at renting homes. Many are still available and may give you more room than an apartment. You will most likely need to save up for the first and last months rent and security deposit, as well as enough monies to turn on the utilities in some cases, and don't forget the grocery trip you'll want to make when you get here.

Also consider the initial move. Moving companies could charge you from $2000 to $5000 to move your families belongings from Michigan to Florida. Even if you do it yourself with U-Haul, it could still cost you anywhere from $1700. on up.
Lastly if you own a home, you will have to take care of that issue before leaving or if you currently rent, you will want to give them plenty of good notice before you leave. A bad reference may hinder you getting into a new place. You don't want to come all the way down here with no place to stay.

If you intend to buy a new home here, you will have to be established first, unless you are being transferred from a job up north and the pay doesn't change.. Most FHA lenders will need to see the first copy of the paycheck from the breadwinner before you could close on a loan. (This is why I say you may have to rent for a while.)
Please know I am not trying to discourage you, but when you make a major move such as this, you want to be completely organized and have all of your "ducks in a row". This way it makes for a smooth move and more of a "happily ever after" once you get here.
Cathryn Blair-Bennett
First Capital lending Corp.
800-572-8520
cblairbennett@firstcaplend.com
We have been looking at quite a few jobs. It is actually my husband and I,our 2 children and his brothers family. We have alot of mixed experience. My husband and his brother both have extensive molding experience,forklift,pallet jack and others. Epoxy flooring,lawn care. Some driving and delivery for Menards. I am currently a stay at home mom. I work 3 hrs a day for the public schools here. I do daycare part time and worked in a factory for 10 years. I worked the majority of my teens in retail stores. I ama fast learner so i will catch onto anything. My sister in law is a CNA. So I am sure she will find work.
Jennifer,
The best way to go about things is to find a job here first before you move here. Go to Monster.com or other online career web-sites. Jobs are tight all over not just in Michigan. If you have many expenses make sure you have a good budget in place so you know what kind of pay you will need to sustain your family. There is a demand for medical professionals and teachers in our area. However, if you are in the retail field, good paying jobs will be hard to find unless you have a four year degree or 10+ yrs experience and you have something special to offer. Though there are many restaurants here, that field is seasonal. The only security in the hospitality field is if you own the establishment. Do your homework first before moving or you may end up in a tougher spot than you began. It could be a good move if you do it right. What kind of career are you looking for?
Cathryn Blair-Bennett
First Capital Lending Corp.
Ft. Myers, FL 33966
800-572-8520 Ext. 212
cblairbennett@firstcaplend.com
Nancy nailed this question, come on down and look for a job before buying a home. The best bets right now for employment are in the medical and educational fields.